Obama's promises regarding foreign relations

November 23, 2007, President-elect Obama gave this radio interview. Emphasis mine.

“I truly believe that the day I’m inaugurated not only does the country look at itself differently, but the** whole world looks at America differently**. If I’m reaching out to the Muslim world they understand that I’ve lived in a Muslim country, and I may be a Christian, but** I understand their point of view**. My sister is half Indonesian. I traveled there all the way through my college years so I am intimately concerned with what happens in these countries and the cultures and perspectives these folks have. And these are powerful tools for us to be able to reach out to the world, and when you combine that with my work on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on everything from immigration to issues of genocide, then** I think the world will have confidence that I am listening to them and that our future and our security is (sic) tied up with our ability to work with other countries of the world. **And that will ultimately make us safer. And that’s something that this administration [Bush] has failed to understand.”

This link provides actual audio of the interview:
breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/09/14/FLASHBACK-Obama-The-Day-Im-Inaugurated-Muslim-Hostility-Will-Ease

Did this happen? Did Obama’s inauguration create better relations and more likability toward the United States? Have the countries that hated us before have better feelings toward us because they realize President Obama “understands their point of view?” Has his whole presidency achieved any of these things that he claimed would happen on the day of his inauguration?

A resounding “NO”

In 2011 Bush was more popular in the Middle East than Obama - they quit polling for data at that time. I can only imagine how much worse (for Obama) it is today.

Today’s eye-opening Zogby poll for the Arab American Institute Foundation should be a wake-up call to the White House on its failing foreign policy. After two and a half years of bashing Israel, appeasing rogue regimes such as Iran and Syria, and promising a new era of relations with the Muslim world, Washington is now less popular in major Arab countries than it was when George W. Bush was in the White House.

Read more: americanthinker.com/blog/2011/07/obama_more_unpopular_in_the_middle_east_than_bush.html#ixzz26kzfamn7

Then why was our ambassador murdered?

Security details were too busy guarding Valerie Jarrett in the mean streets of Martha’s Vineyard.

google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=valerie+jarrett+martha%27s+vineyard+security&oq=valerie+jarrett+martha%27s+vineyard+security&gs_l=hp.3…1628.11281.0.11574.30.23.0.6.6.2.326.3961.4j11j7j1.23.0.les%3B…0.0…1c.1.Ugs8Z3SmmKY&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=1e2547141efbfec6&biw=1280&bih=945

They look at us differently all right…

They had and have a better idea where they stand with Bush then they have with Obama. :thumbsup::shrug:

Commentary, not a current news article

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.