Obedience and Docility

Good afternoon everyone. Once again, I express my gratitude to all of you for your presence at this installation liturgy.

I chose to celebrate today the Votive Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Image and Mother of the Church: in part, because our Diocese and our Cathedral are dedicated to Our Lady, under the title of Mary of the Assumption; and because Our Lady of Consolation was the parish in which I grew up and discovered my own vocation. Most of all, because all graces flow to us from Jesus through His Mother Mary, I would do well to begin my ministry as your Bishop under her inspiration and guidance. She is our devoted Mother and the perfect image of how we should imitate her Son in our lives. Mary has shown us the way and where she has gone, we hope to follow.

We just listened to that wonderful account in Saint John’s Gospel known as the Wedding Feast of Cana. central to this story are those simple yet challenging, life-defining words of Mary to the servants: “Do whatever he tells you.”

Although there are a number of characters in this scene to reflect upon - Jesus, Mary, the apostles, the bridegroom - I would like to focus on the servants, since they are the ones with whom you and I can best identify.

whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2009/07/mojo-to-mid-mich-obedience-and-docility.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.