Obedience REVEALS our faith to GOD?

From Genesis 22

1It happened some time later that God put Abraham to the test. “Abraham, Abraham!” he called. “Here I am,” he replied. 2God said, “Take your son, your only son, your beloved Isaac, and … offer him as a burnt offering on one of the mountains which I shall point out to you.” 9When they arrived at the place which God had indicated to him, Abraham… built an altar…, bound his son …put him on the altar on top of the wood…stretched out his hand and took the knife to kill his son.
11But the angel of Yahweh called to him from heaven…"12Do not harm him, for **now I know **you fear God.
15The angel of Yahweh called Abraham a second time from heaven. 16"I swear by my own self, Yahweh declares, that because you have done this, because you have not refused me your own beloved son, 17I will shower blessings on you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars of heaven and the grains of sand on the seashore. Your descendants will gain possession of the gates of their enemies. 18All nations on earth will bless themselves by your descendants, because you have obeyed my command."
On a straightforward reading of this passage it seems that God “tested” Abraham’s faith and as a result of the test *came to know *Abraham’s faith. I say this based on verse 1 “God put Abraham to the test” and from verse 12 “for now I know you fear God”. This discussion typically arises in the context of justification by faith “alone” and the often appealed to Genesis 16 “Abram put his faith in Yahweh and this was reckoned to him as uprightness (or righteousness). Im interested in hearing some opinions from both C and nonC’s on the meaning of “now I know” as revealed by the angel of the Lord.
Was this merely an angel speaking, and not God?
If so, did the angel promise the blessing which followed and not God?
Is there a sense in which our faith *becomes known *to God through testing?
Thanks,
Phil

1 Peter: 6-9
In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ; and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.

Working out our salvation in fear and trembling is a lifelong process.

Thanks - great reply.

Is there an element of our “faith” which is not known - not even to God - until it is manifest in action?

You become a benefactor by giving generously of your money. You can’t be one without this, just as you cannot be a footballer without playing any games.

If we suppose that both are good things to be, which I’d agree with, though the benefactor much more than the footballer, that supposes a world in which generosity and games of football are both possible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.