Obedience

I’ve been pondering the importance of this, and would love to hear peoples reflections on it.

The first sin was pride. Lucifer said “I will not serve” and became disobedient to God.

Jesus requires our obedience since he was obedient unto death.

He established His Church and gave the keys to Peter so that what ever is bound on earth is bound in heaven and whatever is loosed on earth is loosed in Heaven.

Jesus established the Holy Roman Catholic Church through Peter. By being obedient to the Holy See and the Magesterium of the Church we are being obedient to God himself. If we can’t be obedient to the Church that Christ established how can we delude ourselves into thinking that we could ever be obedient to God?

Being obedient To the Authority of the Holy Roman Catholic Church is paramount, and is being obedient to Christ himself.

I firmly believe that this mass disobedience is the work of the devil himself.

I love the story of saint John Capistrano when ordered by his superior to do exorcisms he felt unworthy and would say to the demon in the possessed. “I am ordered by obedience to cast you out, but you don’t have to leave if you don’t want to. All I’m required is to be obedient!” Of course the demon would leave at this.

I would love to hear other more qualified opinions on this. I am definitely no apologist, but I feel very strongly about this issue because I think there are so many that are jeopardizing their very souls over it.

Disobedience is linked to Pride just as obedience is to Humility.

CCC PART 3 SECTION 1 CHAPTER 1 …
**#1850 ***Sin is an offense against God: "Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight."122 Sin sets itself against God’s love for us and turns our hearts away from it. Like the first sin, it is disobedience, a revolt against God through the will to become "like gods,"123 knowing and determining good and evil. Sin is thus "love of oneself even to contempt of God."124 In this proud self- exaltation, sin is diametrically opposed to the obedience of Jesus, which achieves our salvation.125 *

No wonder “I will not serve!” immediately followed the sin of pride.

“I will not Serve” sure seems to go to the very heart of many arguments here. That’s ok… If God could remove the scales from Paul’s eyes He can surely do it to anyone here.

There is one thing I would like to acknowledge. I’m sure there are a lot of people here that were raised outside of the Church, and what ever belief they have has been present since childhood. That is an extroardinarily powerful thing. The prospect of seeing the faith of your childhood crumble can be terrifying to say the least, and I’m sure they do not view themselves as being disobedient. The one’s that left the Church and argue against it now that’s a different story. That’s why I feel prayer for all who frequent this sight is so important and more powerful than any argument.

Peace of Christ

In St. Faustina’s diary, she recounts numerous occasions in which she receives supernatural favours in return for holy obedience. In the first notebook, she writes a little treatise:

*The Vow of Obedience
The vow of obedience is superior to the first two. It is, to tell the truth, a holocaust, and it is more necessary because it forms and animates the monastic body.

Q. To what does the vow of obedience oblige us?
A. By the vow of obedience, the religious promises to God to be obedient to his legitimate superiors in everything that they will ordain in virtue of the rule. The vow of obedience makes the religious dependent on his superior in virtue of these rules for his whole life and in all his affairs. A religious commits a grave sin against the vow overtime he disobeys an order given in virtue of obedience and of these rules.

The Virtue of Obedience
The virtue of obedience goes further than the vow; it embraces the rules, the regulations and even the counsels of the superiors.

Q. Is the virtue of obedience indispensable for a religious?
A. The virtue of obedience is so indispensable to a religious that, even if he were to perform good actions contrary to obedience, these would be evil and without merit.

Q. Can we sin gravely against the virtue of obedience?
A. We sin gravely when we scorn the authority or the order of the superior, or when spiritual or temporal harm to the community results from disobedience.

Q. What faults endanger the vow?
A. To be prejudiced against the superior, or to harbor an antipathy for him - murmuring and criticism, tardiness and negligence.

The Degrees of Obedience
Prompt and complete fulfillment - the obedience of the will, when the will persuades the intellect to submit to the advice of the superior. To facilitate obedience, Saint Ignatius suggests, moreover, three means: always to see God in our superior, whoever he might be; to justify in itself the order or advice of the superior; to accept each order as an order from God, without examining it or reflecting on it. General means; humility. Nothing is difficult for the humble.*

I need to get another copy of St. Fausinas diary. I was watching 50 years of thorns and Roses about Saint Pio. He was unfailingly obedient to his superiors, even when the locals were about ready to riot because he was ordered to say mass only in private.

I’ve always thought that obedience IS what true faith is. After all, what does it mean to believe in God?

As Fr. Corapi said, even the devil believes in God. So, what makes the difference between us and the devil? The difference is, we do God’s will, we are obedient to Him. Obedience is the essence of true faith in God.

I highly recommend this section on obedience from St. Catherine of Siena’s “Dialogue.” She explains how disobedience comes from pride, impatience, and a lack of love.

cfpeople.org/Books/Dialog/DIALOGp5.htm#T1

Here is an exerpt where she mentions obeying the Vicar of Christ is like obeying Christ Himself (the Father is speaking here):

“My infinite goodness, since I saw that man whom I so much loved, did not return to Me, his End, took the keys of obedience and placed them in the hands of My sweet and amorous Word – the Truth – and He becoming the porter of that door, opened it, and no one can enter except by means of that door and that Porter. Wherefore He said in the Holy Gospel that ‘no one could come to Me, the Father, if not by Him.’ When He returned to Me, rising to Heaven from the conversation of men at the Ascension, He left you this sweet key of obedience; for as you know He left His vicar, the Christ, on earth, whom you are all obliged to obey until death, and whoever is outside His obedience is in a state of damnation, as I have already told you in another place.”

Here is another good reading on holy obedience by St. Robert Bellarmine’s :Seven Words from the Cross":

cfpeople.org/Books/7Words/7Wordsp3.htm#T25

Enjoy!:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.