Oberlin College denies requests from students to suspend failing grades after protests

fox8.com/2014/12/16/oberlin-college-denies-requests-from-students-to-suspend-failing-grades-after-protests/

I can’t believe this!

I think there should be some leniency, such as a two-week extension so they can catch up, but not a complete pass like suspending failing grades. These are adults; school is either a priority or it isn’t. I can understand the need to join the protests, but there are consequences to the choices we all make.

“The students left their studies to demonstrate”
In other words, they used their Free Agency to ignore their studies. The 100 students in question could have protested on Campus and kept up with their studies.

Live doesn’t stop every time you want it to. I see an excellent opportunity for these students to learn a valuable life lesson.

The protesters should be held to the same standards that the other students are. An important skill that is (or should be) learned in EVERY college and university is how to budget your time.

If one cannot make time to protest AND study; then one must either protest less or face the consequences of not studying. It’s not rocket science. It’s not even brain surgery. It’s VERY simple…

Not sure why they’d deserve to pass in the first place. They chose to protest rather than study and now are suffering the consequences of that decision. :shrug:

From the article:
At that time student and protestor Sam Kalb said, “I’m here because** i don’t think anyone should be above the law.”**
(…)
They asked for the normal grading system to be “replaced with a no-fail mercy period,” and said “basically no student …especially students of color should be failing a class this semester.”

In one breath, no-one is above the law and in the next breath he says the law shouldn’t apply to these students…

Can’t pass the test, too bad! Take the “F” and learn from it.

These students left their classes and traveled across country to protest. As a former teacher/TA, this isn’t a case of illness, family emergency, family death (and I even considered “best friends” as family (the military-brat in me I guess)), nor religious obligation; thus, hope the students can pass the test. Of course I usually gave open book/note tests - doesn’t help the student one bit if they didn’t understand the theories behind the topics (besides, the Profs let me write harder questions when I gave open book }:wink: )

Well said.

Great post, Z.

They do not deserve to have their failing grades suspended. If they didn’t want to fail their classes then they should have thought about that before they went to these protests. These students obviously need to learn to keep their priorities straight. Since they didn’t keep their priorities straight then they must face the consequences.

If one protest trip caused their grades to be in failing, what shape were the grades in before the protest? Seems pretty opportunistic to me. While it is in the nature of college students to protest (as their grandparents did in the 60’s), it is in the nature of the adulthood they are fast approaching to assume responsibility and consequences for one’s actions.

Many (though not all) universities have policies in place that state that in order to pass a class, one must pass the final exam - regardless of what the grade was entering into the final exam. And even if that’s not the case, some classes have exactly two grades - the midterm exam and the final. In this case, getting a “0” on the final (which is what the students would receive if they did not take the final) would fail the student anyway. Universities usually have clauses that allow for “incomplete” grades, but such cases are quite strict and revolve around “unforseeable events outside the student’s control”, such as emergency hospitalizations, jury duty, death of an immediate family member, and the like. They don’t usually count “going away to protest” as an event outside the student’s control.

These college students should learn the lesson of the Freedom Riders, who understood that taking off on the Freedom Rides would mean failing the semester due to having to leave during finals week - but felt that it was a price worth paying. If these students were willing to demonstrate across the country for something they felt was a cause bigger than themselves, they must be also willing to pay the price for their decisions.

What amazing chutzpah on the part of the students! I’m glad that the admins at Oberlin remembered where their spine is :thumbsup:

Society is increasingly postmodern. No standards. No values. Dangerous trend.

reason.com/blog/2014/12/16/oberlin-prof-refuses-exam-delay

There’s a link to one of the precious flower’s requests (note this is a ‘privileged’ white student asking an behalf of the minorities whom she seems to think can’t think or act for themselves-- or perhaps didn’t consider that they had in fact made an adult choice understanding the consequences).

Note she considered the professor’s one word response “No” to be violent posting her exchange with the professor with the preface- "“TRIGGER WARNING: Violent language regarding an extremely dismissive response from a professor. This is an email exchange I had with my professor this evening. …”

These kids haven’t been told no enough in their lives if they consider that word to be violent language.

The bigotry of low expectations

Ahhh… and the touchy “feelly” never hurt the child’s self esteem comes to fruition.
styrgwillidar, you are absolutely correct and this will only get worse as the entitlement generation graduates and starts entering the workforce.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.