Obey thy parents?

We all know, that by God’s law and common law and decency we are to obey our parents in everything right??? So how far does this extend??? Does this mean that even at adulthood they can make desicions for us??? Can they tell us where to go and what to do in our lives, such as college and career??? Does it mean they can make prearranged marriages??? I ask this because I’ve heard that the only time when you actually leave your parents (and authority and such) is through marriage, and I forgot the verse for it, but when does their authority like that over us end??? I was just wondering about it all…

[quote=Valtiel]We all know, that by God’s law and common law and decency we are to obey our parents in everything right??? So how far does this extend??? Does this mean that even at adulthood they can make desicions for us??? Can they tell us where to go and what to do in our lives, such as college and career??? Does it mean they can make prearranged marriages??? I ask this because I’ve heard that the only time when you actually leave your parents (and authority and such) is through marriage, and I forgot the verse for it, but when does their authority like that over us end??? I was just wondering about it all…
[/quote]

The commandment is actually Honor Thy parents… not Obey.

That would disqualify most if the things you mentionned has unreasoannble once you have achieved maturity and make your own decisions has a responsible adult.

You might check out Sirach, Chapter 3. It speaks of honoring your parents by obeying the Lord.

They are right. My Parents are Catholic (Dad is methodist and my mom is ???) and they would be just as happy with things if I gave the faith up. So honor parents and obey God.

some of your questions are of a practical nature. For example, about attending college; unless you are either capable of a scholarship or of paying your own way, you might find that they have a certain amount of input. That does not mean that you cannot make your case for a different college. But if you present you case and it doesn’t fly, it certainly will narrow your choices.

And the other posters are correct; the commandment is “honor your parents”.

Ephesians 6:1 does say, “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.” Note that this command is issued to children and comes in a context of outlining the roles of the members of a Christian household. It also says “in the Lord,” meaning that if a child’s parents tell him to do something that violates a command of God, he should choose to obey God. Paul then quotes the original commandment to “honor your father and mother.” This commandment to honor applies to grown children as well. If you’re worried about the burden of having to obey your parents as an adult, perhaps you’re looking at things from the wrong perspective. You should be looking for ways to honor your parents, and any departure from their advice should be taken for good reason, with much prayer, and without a spirit of rebellion or dishonor.

[quote=Kristina P.]Ephesians 6:1 does say, “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.” Note that this command is issued to children and comes in a context of outlining the roles of the members of a Christian household. It also says “in the Lord,” meaning that if a child’s parents tell him to do something that violates a command of God, he should choose to obey God. Paul then quotes the original commandment to “honor your father and mother.” This commandment to honor applies to grown children as well. If you’re worried about the burden of having to obey your parents as an adult, perhaps you’re looking at things from the wrong perspective. You should be looking for ways to honor your parents, and any departure from their advice should be taken for good reason, with much prayer, and without a spirit of rebellion or dishonor.
[/quote]

Ah, the members in a Christian household. My parents having long ago passed on to their just reward, makes it safe for me to say that even when grown children live in the parents household they ought to obey any just command or move on to their own household. Having six children grown and moved out, but who sometimes returned for brief periods I would have to say that at that stage in life honor is a real key word. Just being civil and dropping by or calling periodically on a reasonable basis is very rewarding to older parents. It is so nice not to be out of mind and forgotten which sometimes happens to the elderly particularly when the children have relocated far away.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.