Obligated to seek annulment?

If I suspect my marriage to be invalid, am I obligated to seek an annulment? Or would it be more appropriate to attempt to fix those things that made it invalid? Is that even possible; can a marriage become or be made sacramental after it has been contracted?

If you have any questions, please ask. I will do my best to answer honestly and completely.

Your first step should be to speak to a priest about your marriage and try to determine whether or not it is valid. If your marriage is invalid, as far as I am aware as long as you are and your spouse have not been previously married then there is no reason you cannot enter into a sacramental valid marriage.

[quote="k8e308, post:1, topic:228604"]
If I suspect my marriage to be invalid, am I obligated to seek an annulment?

[/quote]

No.

Or would it be more appropriate to attempt to fix those things that made it invalid?

[/quote]

Yes.

Is that even possible; can a marriage become or be made sacramental after it has been contracted?

[/quote]

Yes.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P46.HTM

Thank you! I did not think I would have the strength to seek an annulment, but it's so easy to get confused when you think there's a problem and your husband does not, and you're having marital issues to boot. :shrug:

Thanks especially for the link 1ke. You are always so helpful. :yup: virtual hug

[quote="k8e308, post:4, topic:228604"]
Thank you! I did not think I would have the strength to seek an annulment, but it's so easy to get confused when you think there's a problem and your husband does not, and you're having marital issues to boot. :shrug:

Thanks especially for the link 1ke. You are always so helpful. :yup: virtual hug

[/quote]

You are welcome.

Go see your priest and discuss what it is you believe are the basis for your suspicions about the validity of your marriage. You may find out that you are barking up the wrong tree and there isn't anything wrong with your marriage.

If he does think there is something pointing to invalidityk, he can seek guidance from the diocesan office and canon lawyers on whether or not this is something that can be remedied in the internal forum (for example, if when you got married your consent was defective but no one knew this but you, you can make a new act of consent in secret) or something in the external forum (an impediment or something known to others that might require new exchange of consent before witnesses).

If I suspect my marriage to be invalid, am I obligated to seek an annulment?

no that is not even an issue unless the marriage has broken down irretrievable and their is no hope of reconciliation (usually after a civil divorce)

Or would it be more appropriate to attempt to fix those things that made it invalid? Is that even possible; can a marriage become or be made sacramental after it has been contracted?

yes it is possible and yes you should visit your priest and start working on the issue as soon as possible.

for instance if one or both parties entered marriage with the intent to avoid conception, but later had a change of heart and returned to belief in and practice of church teaching the defect has been remedied. If the marriage was contracted without proper form, that can be supplied through convalidation or the appropriate remedy.

I have no question, that information should be relayed to the priest who is helping you, not here.

[/quote]

There are very few situations where one would obligated to seek annulment in order to have a sacramental life - these would have involve people who have divorced and remarried. However, if you have doubts and can stick in your mind and be something that is difficult to move past. So please have that talk with your priest so you can find out what is right to do in your situation.

If I suspect my marriage to be invalid, am I obligated to seek an annulment? Or would it be more appropriate to attempt to fix those things that made it invalid? Is that even possible; can a marriage become or be made sacramental after it has been contracted?

If you have any questions, please ask. I will do my best to answer honestly and completely.

[/quote]

Yes, a marriage can be convalidated and that's the preferred way. In fact, ecclesiastic courts are obligated to try and renconcile the parties if possible.

Depending on the issue, some formal measure of convalidation (e.g. privately renewing the vows by one or both parties) may or may not be necessary, so talk to an orthodox priest (one that gets the doctrine right) that has some knowledge of canon law.

But remember it takes something really drastic to cause a marriage to be null and it takes much more than suspicion to prove that nullity.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.