O'Brien priest, worries that church wants to 'crush' him

I can’t quite think of an appropriate word for this ‘sensationalised media drivel’, the word ‘pathetic’ does comes to mind. If the allegations are true, well the Cardinal has since resigned, which the victims stated they wished to occur, and investigations, we can only assume, are/will be taking place.

guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/02/obrien-priest-catholic-church

A key figure behind allegations of inappropriate behaviour by Cardinal Keith O’Brien has launched a powerful attack on the Catholic church’s response to the complaints, saying he fears the church hierarchy would “crush” him if they could.

Last Sunday the Observer revealed that the former priest, along with three serving priests, had reported O’Brien’s behaviour to the Vatican, prompting the UK’s most senior Catholic to resign the following day. Now the former priest, who says he was the subject of unwanted attention by O’Brien when he was a 20-year-old seminarian, has come forward to explain why he made his allegations public and to lambast the Scottish church leadership’s reaction to last week’s story.

He is “disappointed” by the “lack of integrity” shown by the Catholic church. “There have been two sensations for me this week. One is feeling the hot breath of the media on the back of my neck and the other is sensing the cold disapproval of the church hierarchy for daring to break ranks. I feel like if they could crush me, they would,” he told the Observer.He added that he was shocked when Peter Kearney, director of communications for the church in Scotland, claimed O’Brien’s resignation was not linked to the Observer story and that the church did not know the details of the allegations.

Kearney said he was unable to comment on suggestions that a new complaint had been lodged as a result of last week’s story. When asked to outline the church’s programme of support for complainants, he said only that they would be directed to Antonio Mennini, the Papal Nuncio, the Vatican’s ambassador to Britain, to make a formal statement.

“The vacuum the church has created has allowed whimsy and speculation to distort the truth,” the priest said. “And the only support I have been offered is a cursory email with a couple of telephone numbers of counsellors hundreds of miles away from me. Anyway, I don’t need counselling about Keith O’Brien’s unwanted behaviour to me as a young man. But I may need counselling about the trauma of speaking truth to power.”

The former cleric says he feels that he, rather than the cardinal, has been the subject of scrutiny. “I have felt very alone and there is a tendency to become reclusive when people are trying to hunt you down.”

He said he felt particularly angered by demands that the identity of the four complainants be revealed: “To those who want to know my name I would say, what does that change? And what do you think I have done wrong?”*

Some place in the core of the Catholic faith is a recognition of a God who holds a Mercy and Justice, that force that cannot be moved meets with a force that cannot be stopped.

He who is without sin, should cast the first stone, that is for sure in the issue…or forgive others that they might be forgiven for those sins that prevent them from casting the first stone.

Crusify HIM, Crusify HIM, nobody is exept from saying they wish they could have been there and called out for themselves that he must be Crusified, few can say that they would have stopped the crusification of Jesus, for it is demanded more so today,

and the war on religion loves the fuel for the fire they wage on religion…
its good to recognize its all fuel on the fire people give to the issue that they contribute to the war on religion, way to go… keep casting the stones…

God is not in turmoil, nor is the Chruch, but the people are in turmoil in their denial of Jesus and what he called people to, and to react to the ways of the world that is part of human nature to sin…
reformation was a demand for turmoil and war on religion, denial of the Truth of the Church…

Gods mercy and Justice will prevail, your casting of stones is merely your desire to judge others and to pretend your God, not what Jesus called you to do…

Pray for those that cast the stones, for they are the greater of sinners in their demand they teach others to revenge and fight wars of revenge and hate…and to feed the fire of war on religion…

You know, there is no reason to differentiate these articles
because the “papers” Guardian, Huffpo, La Repubblica, NYT,
Washington Post, and on and on are all owned and edited by the very same group.
That is easily confirmed. I don’t read any of their screeds.
Look how they paraphrase O’Brien and give his words a different
meaning with a different “twist”. That being said, O’Brien should just
keep quiet and move along. The Church can no longer, and never should
have granted an overabundance of discretion with any of its clerics
who violated either the law or Church dogma.
Pope Benedict XVI did much to rout this group out of the Church, but
there is still more work to be done ! Let the chips fall where they may.

And since these priests are not minors, tell me why their names have not been publicized?

It would make this much more believable. Don’t you want that sir?

No comment from me on this, I do note there appears to be something new in this story:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21649475

Cardinal Keith O’Brien has admitted that his sexual conduct has at times “fallen beneath the standards expected of me”.

In a statement, he apologised and asked forgiveness from those he had “offended”.

He also apologised to the Catholic Church, and to the people of Scotland.

The cardinal resigned last week after three priests and a former priest made allegations of improper behaviour against him.

Of course, some people here get the news much more immediately than me… but the BBC story is from around 12:38 EST, so this would seem to mean this just came out.

Statement from Cardinal O’Brien

"In recent days certain allegations which have been made against me have become public. Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them.

However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me
as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.

To those I have offended, I apologise and ask forgiveness.

To the Catholic Church and people of Scotland, I also apologise.

I will now spend the rest of my life in retirement. I will play no further part in the public life of the Catholic Church in Scotland."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.