Observation...

I am a candidate in the Catholic church, and will officially ‘come home’ May 20th! :smiley: I do have a question, though. I have noticed that quite a few Mormons tend to hang out on Catholic forums…why is that?

And, a secondary question…what range of religions are on THIS board? I have experience in a wide range myself. My parents allowed us to experience religion (because of WHERE we were raised), so I have experience studying under Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, Baptists, Catholics, Methodists, and Presbytarians.

TIA!

A lot of Roman Catholics are married to Mormons, and such entanglements invariably generate questions on both sides, which Catholic Answers Live! and this forum are called upon to answer. The Catholic Answers Live! radio program puts out a lot of information about Mormonism, some of which Mormons themselves take issue with as inaccurate or unfair; this forum allows LDS to air their concerns to some degree. This is at least a partial answer to your question, I hope.

And, a secondary question…what range of religions are on THIS board? I have experience in a wide range myself. My parents allowed us to experience religion (because of WHERE we were raised), so I have experience studying under Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, Baptists, Catholics, Methodists, and Presbyterians.

TIA!

I’m Anglican, personally. I have seen Wiccans, Buddhists, Bahai’s and Muslims on this board, among other faiths.

Hope that helps!

Welcome Home, heathernoel. God bless you.

I’ve got Mormons in my life, but most of them are fairly non-practicing. Only a handful are TBMs, and those are very nice people who are not nearly as pushy about their religion as I am about mine, LOL. So, I know a little bit about the Mormons… maybe just enough to get me into trouble talking about them, and I do often make mistakes of assumption.

As to the reason for Mormons hanging out here, well, there aren’t really a lot of them. Maybe two or three at any given time. Most come and go. Only one name consistently pops up, day in, day out, and it begins with a Z. This one may actually be an entire crew… there is a theory about that. Or, he may just be a guy in a drab apartment somewhere in the Bronx, doing that, “Are you talking to me?” thing in front of the mirror. Just kidding!

Mormons are extremely sales-oriented. Church growth is the measure of success. This is also true of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, but we don’t seem to get many of those around here on the forum, because they don’t like to debate, whereas the Mormons will dig in and argue with you. Even so, I don’t think there are all that many Mormons here. It only seems that way because one or two of them have made it their career to be here.

The chicks are hot?

Hellenic Neopagan Unitarian Universalist, with background in Christianity (Presbyterian, Assembly of God/Evangelical and Episcopalian) and fairly deep acquaintance with Reform Judaism. More than passing knowledge of Wicca (British Traditional and Eclectic), Druidry, various Protestant denominations. Have read fairly extensively (or have access to someone who has–my husband) in Shinto, other forms of Judaism, some forms of Buddhism. There may be more that I am not calling to mind at the moment.

Learning more about Roman Catholicism through this board to add to what I knew already.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.