Observations from an Autistic on how we are viewed

It could be because to the average lay person, they tend to view high functioning as “Aspergers”, whereas “Autism” brings up a mental picture of somebody stimming and not interacting.

And unfortunately, there are people who self diagnose and go around telling people they’re on the Spectrum (which doesn’t help themselves or persons with a bona fide diagnosis).

I have a brother and a nephew on the spectrum, BTW

It was my Aunt that noticed that my diagnosis of ADD didn’t quite fit. I wasn’t hyper active or have issues with paying attention. So she did some research and I fit all the signs of Aspergers Syndrome.

So she took me to get evaluated and I was rediagnosed. Living with her was difficult. She believed the doctors that said that I would always need help and could never fully live on my own, go to college or have a normal job or life.

I was placed in an assisted living apartment straight out of high school and put on food stamps, social security and Medicaid. I had to fight for 6 years for the right to work full time and live on my own.

She is still baffled I went to college, live on my own successfully and have maintained a full time job. As to what I have accomplished in my state politically for Auties in my state, it’s like her mind doesn’t even register it.

My opposition to certain Autism research baffles her too. Read some of the laws they try to pass. It’s thinly veiled eugenics! Years ago in a hunt for the smoking gun for Downs they found what caused it and how to test for it in the womb.

Since then, 70% of Downs children are aborted. They are now trying to do this with Autism and a lot of us Auties are horrorfied of the implacations! I wish it was a subject more touched on in the Pro Life movement.

But anyway. I find people over or underestimate my abilities. Rarely do they reach the mark

6 Likes

Imagine, if you would, thinking completely based on logic, devoid of emotion. Decisions made based on the facts at hand instead of how we feel about a situation.

Being able to taste color and hear texture. To be in a grocery store and have senses so finely tuned that not only can you hear the florescent lights but they seem so loud they hurt your ears.

Imagine being so sensitive to touch that a friendly embrace is as painful as a punch (for some, not all.) Imagine being bombarded by the emotions and illogic of those around you to the point it feels as though you are being punched repeatedly in the face.

Imagine being so dependent on routine that the slightest change causes everything between panic to moving around all day with your mind in a haze.

Imagine being able to hyper focus, to the point you can and do absorb everything about a favorite subject to the point you can correct college professors.

That’s a little snippet into what’s it’s like for me.

3 Likes

I was initially diagnosed with ADHD, so I completely understand that one.

Yep, I remember some years ago people were saying that they would defend stuff like that, that was not cool. If they would have known I was one of those people, maybe they would have thought differently.

This is more of a general people with nuerological differences observance. I have noticed in my life as well as others that many with nuerological disabilities are spoken to as though we are children.

Treated as though we are children and of as though we are children. This is extremely noticeable when in regards to those with Angelsman Syndrome and Downs. Others like Auties also experience this but not to the same degree.

The constant use of words like child-like are damaging. Like us Autistics, this viewpoint makes it extremely difficult to take what they have to say seriously and are often dismissed when they have something important to communicate.

This constant comparison to children for people with nuerological disabilities needs to stop! It’s dismissive and deeply damaging to mental health as well as damaging to development.

These are adults with adult needs and should be treated as such.

1 Like

That’s a good point. People tend to forget that autism is a spectrum. If you’ve met one autistic person, you’ve met one autistic person.

1 Like

Don’t feel badly. People here don’t always understand when I’m joking, either.

My immediate family gets my jokes. Others I have to explain or they get offended or really confused. :laughing:

Thank you for sharing your side! I agree with you :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.