Observing The Sabbath

I Know we are required to attend Mass on Sunday ( our Sabbath ). What other obligations are required of us on the Sabbath?

Church attendance and rest, where possible.

sunday isn’t and has never been the sabbath, that’s saturday. we don’t keep the sabbath anymore, it was abolished in acts. the first century jews sometimes still worshipped on the sabbath until they got kicked out of the synagogue and the temple was destroyed. historically speaking though, the resting part was transfered to the lords day but not with such intrepretations as jewish law

I may be wrong, however I think you may have that a bit mistaken.
My understanding is that the Sabbath is the holy day of God. Sabbath does not mean Saturday it means the holy day of the Lord. The Israelites observed the Sabbath on what is now our Saturday as Christians we observe the day of Christ’s resurrection which is Sunday. Sunday is our Sabbath our Holy day reserved for God.

FWIW, the word “sabbath” is from the Hebrew word meaning “rest.”

From the Catechism:

A day of grace and rest from work

2184 Just as God “rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,” human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

2188 In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church’s holy days as legal holidays. They have to give everyone a public example of prayer, respect, and joy and defend their traditions as a precious contribution to the spiritual life of society. If a country’s legislation or other reasons require work on Sunday, the day should nevertheless be lived as the day of our deliverance which lets us share in this “festal gathering,” this “assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven.”

I came from a Seventh-Day Adventist background before I converted. It’s interesting how they say “I am the Lord of the Sabbath,” which is used to justify Saturday as the Sabbath, but they didn’t get the bigger picture. I didn’t either. He was basically saying the Sabbath use to be a physical day (Saturday), but the reason we kept the Sabbath was not due to a day, but the foreshadowing of what the Sabbath really is: It’s Jesus Christ. In another words, “I am the Lord of Rest” He is our rest, and it’s now written in our hearts. We’re no longer under the Mosaic law, which Paul says that it’s dead to us. That’s the basic reason why we don’t worship on Saturday anymore.

We also read in Paul’s words that no day is holier than another, but to pick one, and to give thanks to God. (Not sure what the verse number is). So a) he doesn’t care about Saturday as a holy day clearly, b) the sabbath “day” is no longer over any other day, and c) The Church now had a choice on what day to do their worship, being free to choose. We read in the early fathers of The Lord’s Day and in Revelations, which they always associated with Sunday. So the change started early on, and it appears they were given full authority to change it to Sunday, which had an importance of the day of Christ’s resurrection. I could go on and on, being an earlier SDA, but there’s a start. It’s easy to narrow the Gospel, but luckily some of us break out of that narrow-mindedness.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.