Occasion of sin?

Question: would if be permissible to take a lift home with a work colleague. There is zero chance of sin but the possibility of accidental groinal response. It would save me a lot of time and mean I can spend more time with my family.

Basically the question is are you allowed to do something where there is the possibility of sexual arousal? Never consent I add. I would rather die than sin. I find arousal is often the case with watching films aswell. I detest the arousal but don’t want to live in fear of erections.

Wow, you men have such difficulties that I hadn’t really given much thought to.

It’s great you think of these matters. I’ll listen to what the men have to say, because I’d actually be curious to know how they would handle that.

Although, I will add this by St. Josemaría Escrivá.

“To defend his purity, Saint Francis of Assisi rolled in the snow, Saint Benedict threw himself into a thorn bush, Saint Bernard plunged into an icy pond… You…, what have you done?”

I too wills have no hesitation harming myself to avoid lust but is that what we are called to do? I find it hard to believe we are compelled to inflict pain on ourselves. I love Escriva and the other Saints in question but that quote is troubling

I don’t think there would be much of a problem as long as you try not to look in the wrong spots. I sit next to girls at sports events and their is no problem and we are tight on space then. I think you will be fine but if you fear lusting try to think of the girl as your sister or mother

“Avoid the near occasion of sin.” If you don’t think you can control the situation then get a different ride.

So simply being aroused - a physiological response of the body - is sinful, even without acting on it or touching of any kind?

No. But if you have trouble not acting on it avoid situations that might let you go too far. Obviously that is not always possible, and there is the challenge in remaining chaste.

I agree. If you don’t think you can ALWAYS CONTROL the situation, you must find alternative transportation. God bless you.

I envy you. As you are alive and talking to us I’m assuming that means you have never sinned your entire life to date. I didn’t think that was possible.

I have never seen a male with the inappropriate response that you are fearing. :shrug:

When I was younger I sinned a lot in this respect but I always try and reject with my will any sexual arousal that occurs now . Surely we should all prefer death than serious sin? I am no saint though. Pray for me!

Wait its wrong be near people whom you are attracted to? I got me some learning to do.

NO.

If that was the case then why would Christ have given authority to the Apostles and their successors to hear Confession and forgive sins.
Under your thought process Christ should have told the Apostles to tell sinners to kill themselves!

Well, I hope it’s clear that simply being aroused is not a sin, unless you were actively seeking it. And it appears that is not the case here. I mean, if you think there’s a real possibility of you acting on that arousal in whatever way as soon as you get out of the car, or something, then perhaps you should not take the ride.

Anyway, if you do take this ride, and find yourself aroused, just ignore it! I guess that’s being simplistic and perhaps is easier said than done, especially for different people. But, how long is the ride? Are you just sitting there in silence, or what? Generate some conversation to get your mind off whatever it is. The key in this situation is 1) not acting on the arousal (and not seeking it), and 2) and distracting yourself from it/ignoring it, and/or rejecting it as soon as it comes.

That’s the thing with temptations - often, if we firmly reject a temptation as soon as it comes, its hold on us tends to either lessen or fully go away. Keep that in mind and you may very well be just fine. Obviously, you know yourself better than any of us on here, though. Consider these things and make your decision.

The Church holds it better for sun and moon to drop from Heaven, for the earth to fail, and for all the many millions on it to die of starvation in the most extreme agony… than that one soul… should commit one single venial sin, should tell one willful untruth or should steal one poor farthing…

Blessed John Henry. Newman

So very true! And I, like you and the saints, would rather die than commit a mortal sin. God bless you.

No. Thats not whats being said in this thread. What people are saying is that if you are so strongly tempted to lust when in the proximity of people you are attracted to that you will probably give in and commit a mortal sin then you should try to avoid being near them. Not because being near someone you are attracted to is wrong, but because in your particular situation being near them is likely to end up with you committing a mortal sin. Does that make more sense?

As he said he would rather die than commit a mortal sin but he’s still alive and admits he has committed mortal sins how about you? I assume you have never committed a mortal sin if you would rather die than do that??

So, you are calling him a liar? I use to have a big problem with drugs 5 years ago and I would rather die that use that drug again, even once. By your reasoning it would have to mean I have never used Drugs to say “I would rather die than use drugs” because if I had, I would not be alive, because I said “I would rather die than use drugs” yet I have not killed myself.

I think I understand what he is saying, and I feel the same way. YES, I have sinned before though.

NO. I was asking a question.

I’m saying its overacting saying I would rather die then commit a mortal sin and it would go against the teachings of Christ. As I said in an earlier post Christ did not tell his Apostles to go out to sinners and tell them to kill themselves. They are to repent and try not to sin again.
Everyone who uses the I would rather die than sin expression is still here and will commit mortal sins in future so we should act sensibly. Hate sin but if we sin go to Confession and stop all this threatening suicide nonsense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.