OCDS Question

Can anyone tell me a what point in the OCDS formation process an individual is permitted to use the OCDS initials after their name? After Aspirancy? After First Promises? Also when and how does one select a name? Thank you.

In our community you choose a new name for your profession of tempory vows. I recommend praying about it and choosing a name that will have meaning to you for the rest of your life and into eternity. As I understand it one only uses the formal name and initials of the order for carmelite matters such as official documentation to the various offices of the order. I don't remember off hand but I imagine you would take the initials at profession as well. Remember customs may vary in different countries.

[quote="Peanuts9, post:1, topic:311266"]
Can anyone tell me a what point in the OCDS formation process an individual is permitted to use the OCDS initials after their name? After Aspirancy? After First Promises? Also when and how does one select a name? Thank you.

[/quote]

One becomes a member of the Order at the time of the Temporary Promise; the Promise is made to the Order and the Order in the person of the priest receiving the Promise recognizes that first Promise as a sign of one's entrance into the Order. Therefore O.C.D.S. may be used by the member following that event.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.