Octave of Easter

Since the week after Easter Sunday are Solemnities are the creed and gloria sung at eah of these masses? Went during the octave last year but don’t remember.
Thanks for the help
Have a Blessed Triddum

Yes, the Gloria and Credo should be recited throughout the week.

The Roman Missal directs that the Glory to God be said for the whole Octave of Easter, but not the Creed.

On the Monday to Saturday of the Octave of Easter it has: “The Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is said.”

It does not have “The Creed is said” – as it does for Sundays and, for example, the solemnity “The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary” of 15 August.

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal has: “68. The Creed is to be sung or said by the Priest together with the people on Sundays and Solemnities. It may be said also at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.”

I interpret that to say all Sundays and all Solemnities. However, it is another one of those things that is above my pay grade; so I don’t worry about it.

Actually Easter Monday is a minor solemnity, but the days of the rest of the Octave except Quasimodo Sunday are feast days. Therefore the Gloria but not the Creed are sung.

Can you provide a source for this? I am pretty confident that all of the days of the Easter Octave are solemnities and thus the Creed should be recited.
From “General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the Calendar”:

1. The first eight days of the Easter season make up the octave of Easter and are celebrated as solemnities of the Lord.

ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDWLITYR.HTM

The days of the Christmas Octave are feasts, not solemnities.

Unless the above norms were later superseded.

I just hope I can go to Mass on April 27th within the Octave and it counts. I am disabled will not have transport April 20th.

You celebrate the Roman Rite Easter?

The Ordo for my archdiocese clearly says Gloria but no Credo today (Monday). For the rest of the week, it says, “See Monday.” :shrug: Note that I am in France, in case that makes a difference.

The Ordo of our abbey; Benedictine practice may differ slightly (I erred slightly, on the Ordo, Monday of the Octave is a solemnity, Tuesday is a Feast and the remainder are ferias with proper Office and Mass). The Ordo of our Conference of Bishops lists the days of the Octave as ferias with a proper Offices and Mass; it specifically says that the Gloria is said but not the Credo.

This year all churches celebrated Pascha/Easter the same day. April 20th. :slight_smile: :byzsoc:

I don’t know if this is something that varies from nation to nation but this is what it says on the USCCB website:

[LEFT]24. The first eight days of Easter Time constitute the Octave of Easter and are celebrated as Solemnities of the Lord.

[/LEFT]
Do the weekdays of the Octave of Easter include a renewal of baptismal promises?
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

That’s wonderful :). Didn’t realize that was the case this year…I should have!
That said, does the Byzantine celebration of Easter / Pascha include an Octave? I thought Octaves were particular to the liturgy of the Roman Rite.

I have never seen it done on the weekdays, and it would seem superfluous since everyone will have done this at the Sunday mass.

I don’t know. I am disabled and go to Mass wherever I can. I have a deep respect for the Catholic church, and would be in a Eastern Catholic parish if there were one within reasonable distance.

I have very few choices being dependent on others for transport. Driving has been forbidden for me for the last ten years when I had an awful stroke.

My roommate, a nurse is Anglo Catholic and that is where I usually end up. :sad_yes:

I think the Creed is said in the Masses celebrated in the Easter Octave. The Holy Father recited it in the Thanksgiving Mass (today) for Saint Jose Anchieta.

I have to tell you, your posting sent me running to Google. I’d never heard of “Quasimodo Sunday.” I began to wonder if one of the readings was taken from “The Hunchback of Notre Dame.” :smiley: Now I know better…

The cool thing is that at our abbey, the entrance antiphon on Quasimodo Sunday really is “Quasi modo geniti infantes”, in Gregorian chant :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.