Odd book at Local Catholic Bookstore

Some Catholic stores are a little broader in their approach and don’t care about selling books that propose heresy. Is your pastor sympathetic? He can warn parishioners or approach the bookseller informally. Don’t expect much from your bishop, though. He’s not big on all this Latin stuff.

Picket the bookstore!

I thought it said Eposipal is there a difference?

I did go to a united church for CGIT which is a girl guides like deal. I was heart broken to see them accept homosexuals and one of the ladies who was our leader, is a priest or something a leader of some sort now and is gay. So the united church of canada is on the out list for me.

So now the espispal or anglican? gee just think they all keep it up and you will have to put a lifeguard out in a rowboat to watch everyone swimming that tiber.

Is someone trying to force you to do so?

Edwin

:rotfl: Sorry, just felt like doing that.

The Episcopal Church is the U.S. province of the Anglican Communion. It’s a fully autonomous body but is in communion with other Anglican churches throughout the world.

There are other, more conservative Anglican churches in the U.S. Until recently it was generally fair to say that these churches were not part of the Anglican Communion, but with the recent controversies various parts of the Communion (Rwanda, Nigeria, and Uganda, to name three) have established relationships with conservative Anglican parishes in the U.S., so that we have the anomalous situation of Anglican churches within the U.S. not themselves recognized by Canterbury but under the authority of archbishops who are in full communion with Canterbury.

This is no doubt a transitional situation–who knows what is going to happen after the Sept. 30 deadline, though perhaps nothing will happen!

Edwin

you know Edwin somedays I hate being a mutt. I am so sorry :o I know you are trying to educate me and I really cannot “get” what you are saying, I see there is change obviously, but I just have no background on things like this, it makes it hard to understand. If you want could you explain it again *shuffles feet * maybe with drawings and simple terms for me :smiley:

There is nothing simple about it frankly.

I like the idea of drawings, or a diagram. Going all the way back, then to where we are all today!

Great idea!

Sorry for not being clearer.

The Anglican Communion is made up of different autonomous churches throughout the world. The one in the U.S. is called the Episcopal Church. So most Anglicans in the U.S. are also Episcopalians. However, there are some conservative Anglicans who are not part of the Episcopal Church, which they consider too liberal. Some of them have no relationship with any part of the official Anglican Communion, but others are actually under the authority of Anglican bishops from other parts of the world–mostly Africa.

To make it more complicated, many of us who are still members of the Episcopal Church prefer to be called “Anglicans” to signal that we are loyal to the worldwide Communion rather than to the Episcopal Church. I

Summary: “Anglican” means the broader tradition; Episcopalian means a member of the specific Anglican body called the Episcopal Church. All Episcopalians are Anglicans, but not all Anglicans are Episcopalians.

If there’s something specific you don’t understand, I can try to explain it!

Edwin

Edwin

thank you, so are there Anglicans, as in look there is a Anglican church so it doesnt say Episcopal on the front?

And I think I get it. OS Luke posted a link for me regarding Methodist communion and I tried looking up Methodist in Canada and it seems to be different somehow. It may not be a good example but is it one?

The Nazarene where I was married is part of the Methodists if I got that right.

So back to yours if I understand right now, there is a potential split that may happen and that would be between the US Episcopals and the US Anglicans who are under those bishops in Africa. I think I have it??

Once again thank you for taking the time to explain it. :slight_smile:

ps was that you I asked about that other forum, if it was you posting there, or just someone that “typed” like you. :smiley: (cant say looked, I know bad joke)

I made a comment on a CATHOLIC forum about a Protestant minister that by CATHOLIC rules & regs is NOT legitimately ordained. You got a problem with this?

Remember WE and only WE are the True Church. All others that call themselves Christian fall somewhat short. This is a fact and can not be argued with. … not without the opposing party being flat wrong.

Episcopalions, although considered protestant, have a lot more in common with Catholics than they do with Evangelicals. Episcopalions (at least the ones I knew growing up) would prefer to go to a Catholic book store over an Evangelical book store. So this Catholic bookstore probably does get a big Episcopalion crowd. My mother used to get the catalogue from Abbey Press which is very Catholic. They also follow the Liturgical year- do advent, have advent wreaths etc. So lots in common with Catholics.

Thanks for this explanation. When you say “Some of them…” are you refering to Anglicans in the U.S. or conservative Anglicans?

Are there no Episcopalian churches outside of the U.S.? Do you know if the Anglican Church of Canada is a similarly autonomous church?

Sorry to break into the conversation and badger you, I just found your post quite informative.:slight_smile:

The people who work in the store may or may not be simple paid employees. Go into the store, ask to speak to the owner. Get the owner’s card name and address. If he/she is not in, get a phone number or email address. Send the owner a letter, ask why such would be found in a store that calls itself “Catholic”, and copy your Bishop.

If I remember correctly, in order to use the name “Catholic” in a public manner, one has to have the permission of the local Bishop, so, the Bishop should be very interested if a non-Catholic book store is advertising itself as Catholic.

People decided they prefered to think for themselves, and read what they choose. They saw no need to allow self-appointed censors to limit their reading material. This is enshrined in the US Constitution under the First Amendment.

It is odd that this book is for sale in a Catholic bookstore,
it should simply not be for sale there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.