Odd Question

Hello I am new here but have an odd question, Im in my 20’s have been struggling with Masturbation and wondered if it is morally ok to buy myself a chastity device to try to conqour this.

Start a novena in honor of the Holy Spirit. You need to meditate more on the love for God. I'll pray for you.

[quote="Bentonsantaman5, post:1, topic:348709"]
Hello I am new here but have an odd question, Im in my 20's have been struggling with Masturbation and wondered if it is morally ok to buy myself a chastity device to try to conqour this.

[/quote]

Interesting thought... Impractical perhaps ...

Your efforts would be better directed at improving your spiritual life.
Some Suggestions: daily mass, daily rosary, daily scripture reading, weekly confession, spiritual direction, professional therapy, free 12 Step meetings such as Sexaholics Anonymous (www.sa.org).

Hello I am new here but have an odd question, Im in my 20's have been struggling with Masturbation and wondered if it is morally ok to buy myself a chastity device to try to conqour this.

[/quote]

Try to pray the Rosary each day and try to do a reading each day. Try the Magnificat or some other daily devotion.

The more you pray, the less you will want or desire to Masturbate. Trust me.... It really does work. That's not to say that you might not faile from time to time, but you will fall MUCH LESS.

God Bless

Keep praying. Prayer is a powerful intercessor. Focus on reading the bible when the feelings start to overwhelm you. God bless.

[/quote]

It would probably be morally acceptable...but as others have said, there are other things that might be much more helpful.

From my own struggle I offer....

I developed a "visual prayer"...After all, if we can "visualize" toward lust - why not "visualize" away from it...
So I prayed, "Father, take me to the foot of the cross", and then began thinking, visualizing myself there. Gazing on the scene of the one who died for my sins.
Hot, dry, dusty day.
The foot of the cross buried in the ground.
The wood of the cross stained black from blood and sweat.
The feet of our Lord.
Filthy and stained and dripping blood and sweat.
I did this - I put Him there - Not alone - but I helped.
Every time I sin, it is increases His pain.
If I refrain, it eases His pain.
Feel the heat of that day, the dryness of the air.
How thirsty He is.....
.....and so on....

How could I possibly sin while standing at the foot of the cross.

As a corollary to the idea of our sin putting Him there, consider how his cross is the accumulation of our sins. Each time we sin, the cross gets heavier…Each time we resist sin, the cross gets lighter.

Peace
James

[quote="Phil_Marinus, post:3, topic:348709"]
Interesting thought... Impractical perhaps ...

[/quote]

I've considered this before, hows it impractical? If his situation is at all like mine It would help because alot of times your just lying around and before you know it instinct takes over, if you use this it means having to get up and go get a key meaning moral thoughts would have time to remind you "no there thats not ok"

um....not to say anything, but....those sorts of devices typically fall in the category of "adult novelty items".... and I would hesitate to get involved with that, given your particular proclivity.

Plus, your chastity will have to come from within, not from the outside. Rather than focusing on the spiritual aspects and the benefits of replacing your weakness with the Holy Spirit, you'll become preoccupied with the device and what you can't do.

[quote="on_the_hill, post:9, topic:348709"]
um....not to say anything, but....those sorts of devices typically fall in the category of "adult novelty items".... and I would hesitate to get involved with that, given your particular proclivity.

Plus, your chastity will have to come from within, not from the outside. Rather than focusing on the spiritual aspects and the benefits of replacing your weakness with the Holy Spirit, you'll become preoccupied with the device and what you can't do.

[/quote]

Could'nt hurt him till he builds that spiritual chastity, training wheels i guess would be term here

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.