OF,EF SSPX. Etc What do the mean?

Hi everyone.
It seems as though at one time I saw a posting listing the meanings of all the common abbreviations used in the forums. Cuold some one direct me to this post or post another listing?
Thanks, ppcbill

OF: Ordinary Form (the Novus Ordo Mass, therefore also NO)
EF: Extraordinary Form (Mass according to the 1962 Missale Romanum, also TLM for Traditional Latin Mass)
SSPX: Society of Saint Pius X, a schismatic organization which is not in communion with the Church.
Etc: Et cetera. lol.

Any others?

I’ve never seen so much use of acronyms as used on CAF. When I first joined I had no idea of what was being discussed but over a period of several months I worked out or googled the acronyms until I had them memorized.

In academic circles you can use acronyms but only after spelling out the word in full for the first appearance with the acronym in brackets. That would be helpful for many new CAF members but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Yeah. I generally use well-known acronyms or those which have been used before on the thread, but spell out the other, less-known ones…

I have little love for the SSPX… I find them to disrespectful, but they are not in schism.
[/quote]

I have little love for the SSPX… I find them to disrespectful, but they are not in schism.

But they were in schism until just recently, right?

I believe so. Though no longer formally in schism, SSPX clergy have yet to be given canonical status. In other words, attending an SSPX Mass will fulfill your Sunday obligation, though the Mass itself is not licit. Also one should not make the SSPX chapel their primary place of worship until such a time that faculties have been restored.

Excommunicated because they committed a schismatic act, to be a little more precise. Not a true schism, according to one of the Vatican sources.

H,
Please dont let this thread get hijacked.I an looking for the meanings of the dozens of commonly used abbrivations used on this and other catholic forums. Those first few were just exanples, Thanks again

Here are a couple more.

CITH: Communion in the hand

COTT: Communion on the tongue

Now the thread can go in a different direction. :smiley:

FSSP - Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Petri - Priestly Fraternity of St Peter, a group which broke off SSPX and in complete union with the Rome

ICRSS - Institutum Christi Regis Summi Sacerdotalis (also called ICK in the English vernacular) - another traditional order in complete union with Rome.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.