OF Mass questions

This is a legitimiate question, and since I'm no liturgical expert, and after having gone through google trying to find a good answer, I fugured I would ask here.

1) What is the correct V2 implemented Mass suppose to look like?
Is there any place on the internet I can see a video of it? Would this one from EWTN count? youtube.com/watch?v=wx9H_epzGxA

2) How exactly does the OF, when correctly done, differ from the EF? I dont think I've ever seen a good breakdown of the differences, other than on a sedevacantist sight or something (which I did not read), so I'm really interested in this.

3) What will it take and how long will it take in ya'lls own opinions for us to get to a point where it looks like the Mass V2 intended?

In my own opinion, I think the pendulum is starting to swing. There seems to be more and more talk about how to implement the liturgy correctly.

That was an amazing mass! I wish we had something like that around here.

Agreed! I’m hoping to make it up that way when I go back to Bama for spring break!

That’s cool! I’ll take a shot at answering your question too:

One major difference I know of is the addition of the Prayers of the Faithful, which were not in the Tridentine Mass. In addition, the Tridentine Mass had only one “Eucharistic Prayer,” the Canon. Also, the Novus Ordo introduced the Sign of Peace for the entire congregation–previously it was only done by the clergy on the altar and only during a Solemn Mass, not a Low Mass. I know this isn’t an exhaustive list but I hope it helps you get started.

why do some OF mass celebrated facing the altar whereas the majority of OF Mass I attend celebrated facing the people?

I am probably biased, but I would suggest trying to attend Mass at a Benedictine monastery if you have the option. The Liturgy is a major focus of the Benedictine Tradition, and to date, the most beautiful Masses I have seen, have been at a monastery. Depending on where you are located, this might be an option to get an idea of what the OF of the Mass can be, when celebrated reverently.

Depending on where you are at in North Texas, you might consider making a trek up to St. Gregory's Abbey in Shawnee, OK. I have been there a few times now and have always found the liturgy to be highly edifying. Being a monastic community, they do a few things here and there differently, from having side chapels where the tabernacle is kept, but the liturgy is quite beautiful. Every time I have been there, either the propers of the Mass are used, or the antiphons for the day. Thus, you do not get the "four hymn sandwich" that makes up most OF Masses you will find. There is a recessional hymn of course, which is always of a traditional flavor.

[quote="tata888, post:5, topic:315643"]
why do some OF mass celebrated facing the altar whereas the majority of OF Mass I attend celebrated facing the people?

[/quote]

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=754115

I second this. I attend Mass every Sunday at a Benedictine monastery. Mass is in Gregorian chant. It’s an OF Mass. Very beautiful and reverent.

Thanks for the responses!
As to how the EF/OF differ, are there any theological differences between the two? For example I've seen people talk about how the EF is more sacrificial than the OF

Also, what are the differences between the two regarding the funeral rite? I've also read on other blogs/forums, that the OF funeral is lacking in certain aspects and the EF places more importance on presuming your in purgatory, not automatically in heaven

[quote="tata888, post:5, topic:315643"]

[/quote]

I had this question as well. This past Sunday my Priest faced the altar. Granted I haven't been Catholic very long, but I was curious as well. I will ask Father this weekend. I did ask someone at church and was told it was because it was the 1st Sunday of Lent and they will do that on special occasions. The other Priest didn't at Christmas. Color me curious.

One difference between the OF and the EF is the readings. There are two readings in an EF mass, usually from an epistle and a gospel. The gospel readings are almost all from Matthew's gospel. The cycle of readngs repeats each year. In the OF Mass there are three readings and a three year cycle. The first reading is usually from the Old Testament and is on the same theme as the Gospel reading. The second reading is from the New Testament.

[quote="NorthTexan88, post:1, topic:315643"]
1) What is the correct V2 implemented Mass suppose to look like?
Is there any place on the internet I can see a video of it? Would this one from EWTN count? youtube.com/watch?v=wx9H_epzGxA

[/quote]

Bishop Robert Baker of the Diocese of Birmingham is leading that Mass. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: I personally find EWTN's Masses to be a good example. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.