Off duty, black cops in New York feel threat from fellow police

Yahoo:

Off duty, black cops in New York feel threat from fellow police

NEW YORK (Reuters) - From the dingy donut shops of Manhattan to the cloistered police watering holes in Brooklyn, a number of black NYPD officers say they have experienced the same racial profiling that cost Eric Garner his life. Garner, a 43-year-old black man suspected of illegally peddling loose cigarettes, died in July after a white officer put him in a chokehold. His death, and that of an unarmed black teenager in Ferguson, Missouri, has sparked a slew of nationwide protests against police tactics. On Saturday, those tensions escalated after a black gunman, who wrote of avenging the black deaths on social media, shot dead two New York policemen.

The protests and the ambush  of the uniformed officers pose a major challenge for New York Mayor  Bill De Blasio. The mayor must try to ease damaged relations with a  police force that feels he hasn’t fully supported them, while at the  same time bridging a chasm with communities who say the police unfairly  target them.

What’s emerging now is that, within the thin blue line of the NYPD, there is another divide - between black and white officers.

Reuters interviewed 25 African American male officers on the NYPD,  15 of whom are retired and 10 of whom are still serving. All but one  said that, when off duty and out of uniform, they had been victims of  racial profiling, which refers to using race or ethnicity as grounds for  suspecting someone of having committed a crime. 

The officers said this included being pulled over for no reason, having their heads slammed against their cars, getting guns brandished in their faces, being thrown into prison vans and experiencing stop and frisks while shopping. The majority of the officers said they had been pulled over multiple times while driving. Five had had guns pulled on them.

Possibly one may not be considered overly skeptical for being doubtful about this. One would certainly think a black off-duty cop would identify himself as a cop before “having his head slammed on his car”. And the white cop did it anyway, knowing the black cop would surely file a very serious complaint against him or face retaliation by the nonwhite MAJORITY on the police force?

And it’s just the white cops. Not any of the Hispanics or Asians. Just the whites. Of course, everybody who knows anything knows how much Hispanics identify with blacks. :rolleyes:

Doesn’t pass the smell test, at least so far.

As a white guy married to a Hispanic woman and who has been a Cop for the last 10 years I approve the above statement LOL!

So, your opinion weighs more heavily than the the black officers interviewed??

I don’t know how much of the testimony of these Black cops is true or if any of it is fabricated or perhaps exaggerated. What is on record in New York City is that racial profiling has been a problem for Blacks who are not cops for several decades. There have been documented incidences of Blacks being harshly mistreated by White police officers in the 1940’s and 1950’s all the way up to the present time. The problem persists and is not in the imagination of Black people.

From 2008 (see here):

At least one cop has been disciplined for ordering the NYPD’s highest-ranking uniformed black officer out of his auto while the three-star chief was off-duty and parked in Queens, the Daily News has learned.

The officers should have spoken up and reported the misdeeds they experienced, that is how change happens.

Other than that, this article is hack journalism. Garner was a serial offender breaking the law, he wasn’t racially profiled. Plus a black officer was leading the arrest.

I am Hispanic but look more white. I got pulled over blocks from the station on my first day. Both cops were black and gave me no reason why they pulled me over, they simply said have a nice day when I showed them my badge. The neighborhood I got pulled over is primarily black. Was a profiled? Perhaps, but I had nothing on me or doing anything wrong. So profiling goes both ways from any race.

Contrary to what the media seems to want everyone to believe, racism isn’t limited to just the white race. And not every white person is a racist.
A lot of this conflict between the races is the phenomenon of the self-fulfilling prophecy which is egged on by sensationalism in the media.

And that makes it wrong, not right, both ways.

I don’t know what goes on in the NYPD either, but I think harking back to the 1940s and 1950s is extremely misplaced.

I live in the Ozarks, where “political correctness” is not observed. There are almost no blacks here, though there are a fair number of Hispanics in some towns. I am very familiar with the human rights people and policies in some of the most mundane and rough and ready places of employment that can be imagined. And those who are in charge of implementing those policies really mean it and will fire you as soon as look at you if you break the rules regarding discriminatory action or harrassment in any way.

And if it’s that way in, say, a Simmons or ConAgra poultry plant (and it sure is) or a stave plant in a town where minorities really are minorities, are we supposed to believe that in NYC, in which most of the police are minorities serving a community in which minorities abound, the white cops maintain a reign of terror over the majority? Are we really supposed to believe the discrimination policies and grievance procedures in NYC are inferior to those in the Simmons poultry plant in Southwest City, Mo?

And, in particular, when these stories emerge that are told by media people who want so desperately to believe everybody is racist or sexist or whatever except them, are we supposed to give them full faith and credit? Or is there all too often a “willing suspension of disbelief” if the story can get published over all the competing stories if it confirms the biases of the editors? Remember the article in Rolling Stone about the frat house rape? It fit the leftist narrative so wonderfully that nobody even bothered to check it out. If some woman accuses a bunch of (especially if they’re white) young privileged men, then it has to be true, no matter what. Right? Well, who cares if it’s true, it’s a good story.

These ten or fifteen black cops who said they had been discriminated against, (How many cops have there been in NYC in the last 20 years? Several hundred thousand maybe, and this reporter found ten or fifteen?) Did anybody check it all out? When did they serve? Did they complain to anybody whose job it is to exterpate all elements of racism out of the organization, root and branch? (And you know, as well as your own name there are people whose job is to do nothing else in an organization that big.) Or were these ten or fifteen perhaps fired for something and decided to blame it on racism? Did the reporter check anything, or was the story just too good? Wouldn’t want to ruin a perfectly good story about rampant racism to fit the current left wing narrative by checking it out, would we? After all, it’s timely, isn’t it?

I remain skeptical.

And if the three-star was a white man (let alone a Hispanic) parked “near a hydrant” and in approaching him one of two black cops saw the white three-star’s gun and ordered him out of the car, would the black cops have been disciplined? One wonders. But then, in the story, the black three-star’s wife was the NYPD’s deputy equal opportunity commissioner, soooooooo.

Interesting that the NYPD has an equal opportunity commission at all, right, they being so racist and all?:rolleyes:

Some people just want to sweep truth under the rug :shrug:

I’m not sure how much “truth” we can expect when a media person wants to write a “shock story” based on 10 or 15 (supposed) victims of racism out of hundreds of thousands of present and former officers. Do those accounts really make a pattern?

If one pays attention, one can see the story is a bit disjointed. Something is attributed to all but one officer, then generalities are stated as if told by all, but directly attributed to none.

Given what I know about discrimination policies and enforcement in ordinary industries, it’s not easy to attribute widespread racist acts to an organization like NYPD that apparently has its own internal equal opportunity commission and is composed mostly of minority members as well.

If anything, there may have been MORE anti-Black discrimination by the NYPD in the 1940’s and 1950’s. At that time, virtually all of the social services in NYC–police, firemen, sanitation workers, teachers–were dominated by Irish Americans. There was little, if any, diversity within the police department. On a related note, I recall when my mother applied for a teaching position in the NYC public schools, she was denied, not due to any lack of academic qualifications but rather to her having a Jewish-sounding last name. (Prior to that time, her maiden name did not sound Jewish so she was able to be hired.) Later on, the Jews would become the dominant force in the public education system. IOW there was virulent antisemitism in New York in the 1940’s and 1950’s (and not long before, virulent anti-Irish sentiment), apart from the intense discrimination against African Americans, who were hardly even on the radar screen.

I would certainly expect discrimination of all kinds to have been more prevalent in the 1940s and 1950s than now. The only one that seems to have as much virulence now as it did then (but among a different group) is anti-Catholicism. Nobody admits to it openly, of course. Well, some do, I guess.

Your mention of the Irish in NYC police reminds me of a chapter in Tom Wolfe’s “Bonfire of the Vanities” entitled “Tawkin’ Irish”. The point of the chapter was that everybody in law enforcement in New York City became Irish whether they were or not. So, for example, Jewish cops or prosecutors would “become Irish” in their manner of speaking and the way they approached their jobs; a sort of “I’m after you (or your client) and the only way you can stop me is to kill me, because I won’t quit” way of doing things. Black cops became Irish, Hispanics did too, it didn’t matter. Eventually, because of the nearly universal adoption of the established “culture”, they all became Irish. An amusing chapter.

Your mention of your mother reminds me. My father was a businessman and he was very good at what he did. The local gentry (back then the Masonic and the KKK membership was essentially the same) wouldn’t patronize him openly because they didn’t want their brothers seeing them do it. So, to do business with him they would call him at home and meet him somewhere obscure. Just part of the landscape of the time.

True. And some people find fault where non exists.

I think it’s because of the tendency to over-identify (ourselves with others) and over-generalize (about others).

The phenomenon of racial profiling was openly admitted to until relatively recently, when it became politically incorrect to do so. There is also a vicious circle, because over-policed communities get over-represented in the courts, then in the jails, and subsequently on the unemployment and re-offender rolls.

This is not a joke, and not simply about the relatively small risk of getting killed - but also about destruction of lives over things that other people might get away with. While I’m writing this, there is a debate on TV about drug testing for welfare recipients…why not drug testing for everyone who benefits from the public purse? Because the non-welfare beneficiaries don’t fit the profile we have of drug users?

At some point we have to advance as a society beyond our tech toys and engineering exploits and focus on advancing our thinking and interactions. One would hope…

Well if the testimony is that liberal NYC is more racist than conservative mountain areas of the Ozarks, that is not totally unbelievable, though it is certainly not what the liberal media would have us all believe.

Great post. :thumbsup:

Totally agree and would add that Garner did not die due to racial profiling, a lie from the very first sentence of the article that kind of gives away the tenor and direction of the rest of it.

Garner died from cardiac complications brought on by being an overweight, diabetic criminal who resisted arrest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.