Offensive tattoo

Hello, friends,

Last Sunday at Mass, I noticed that one of our parishioners had a HUGE swastika tattooed on the back of his head, on his scalp. :eek: It wasn’t a new tattoo, and I never noticed it before, but I think he had grown his hair out a little bit and that covered it up. This week he showed up with his head shaved and that big, nasty symbol of hatred showing for all the world to see. To make matters worse, he was near a family of African-Americans (but at least he wasn’t directly in front of them). How does one respond to this? I didn’t say anything to Father yet, and all I could think of was to pray for this person and for anyone who might be hurt or offended by the sentiments represented by that swastika. Opinions?

Ask said parishioner about it. Tattoo removal is extremely expensive, and odds are that it's from a past life.

If he usually keeps it covered up, odds are that I'm right. It's why people ought to think twice before getting ink done.

Seriously. In all actuality, I bet he's embarrassed of it.

I think there’s a very good chance that plan19 is right here. A few years ago I paid over a thousand dollars to get two tiny tattoos lasered off. I went in three times and they’re still in place, pretty dark. Thankfully they aren’t offensive, just annoying. Someday if we can afford it I will hopefully go in for more treatments, but it’s a slow, painful, expensive process.

[quote="plan19, post:2, topic:178967"]
Ask said parishioner about it. Tattoo removal is extremely expensive, and odds are that it's from a past life.

If he usually keeps it covered up, odds are that I'm right. It's why people ought to think twice before getting ink done.

Seriously. In all actuality, I bet he's embarrassed of it.

[/quote]

Good guess. But one wonders if this is so.. why he doesn't grow his hair out enough to cover it up. :shrug: Why shave his head.. so that the tattoo is OUT there?

maybe its hot…

[quote="MarieVeronica, post:4, topic:178967"]
Good guess. But one wonders if this is so.. why he doesn't grow his hair out enough to cover it up. :shrug: Why shave his head.. so that the tattoo is OUT there?

[/quote]

There's a logical fallacy at play here: Assume he's a proud skinhead, neo-nazi, member of the AB, or what have you.... What would he be doing in a Catholic mass?

I can't see someone going between Mein Kampf and Hail Marys.... it's just silly.

Look... if we judge a guy based on something he isn't anymore... are we really serving God here? This entire thing... it's all based on assumptions. Assumptions which could be fixed by merely talking to the guy.

We've all sinned. Thankfully we don't all have visible evidence of our past transgressions displayed for all to see... so that others might judge us just how this gentleman is being judged courtesy of his very own Scarlet Letter.

At the very least, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but I do have to wonder, why doesn’t he grow out his hair enough to cover it up? One inch of hair would be enough to hide it, and that’s why I never saw it before, until he shaved his head. And believe me, it’s not “hot” – we’re in Michigan in wintertime! Indeed, neo-Nazi-ism and Catholicism are an odd match, so maybe the guy has repented (we can hope and pray!), or maybe he is totally clueless. :shrug: I don’t judge this guy (God knows I have a few skeletons in my own closet!) and I personally couldn’t care less what he has tattooed or where…except in this case, I am concerned that this is hurtful to others in the parish. As they say, the right to swing your fists ends at the point where your neighbor’s nose begins.

You know, if I were younger, I’d go back to school for a medical degree, specialize in dermatology, and do a sub-specialty in tattoo removal. It would be a great job with “banker’s hours,” and I’d even offer a discount for people wanting anything hateful, racist, or satanic removed! :smiley:

Funny thing, that. Every time I go to get my hair cut, I get a high-and-tight, aka a “fade” around these parts. Every time I ask for a “number zero fade” on the sides, that number zero varies from skin-tight to double-ott to zero. So depending on where I got my hair cut (varies depending on schedule), my number zero fade varies anywhere between 0" to 1/4" on the sides. (Barbers around here… well, frankly, they leave much to be desired.)

Point being… you’re paying too much attention to a tat, and not giving much latitude in terms of benefit of the doubt.

All this about hurting other people’s feelings… You can only be offended if you choose to be. I would call on those offended as much as I’d call on you or me or anyone to give him the benefit of the doubt before choosing to be offended.

Hate the sin. Love the sinner.

Again… odds are he’s embarrassed. Ask him about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.