Offer up each psalm / canticle in Liturgy of the Hours?

I have begun praying the LotH daily, and some acquaintances who also pray the LotH have told me about their practice of “offering up” each individual psalm and canticle for a specific cause; e.g. offer up the first psalm in Morning Prayer to my son ____, the Old Testament canticle to my neighbor ___, and so on.

Does anyone know the basis of this practice? Is it sanctioned and/or encouraged in the tradition of the Church? Or is it more like one of those “small ‘t’” traditions that is of course not wrong but not especially a part of the tradition of the Divine Office?

Never heard of it. No harm I suppose.
But really the LOTH is an offering to God. Without attachments, just for the joy of dedicating your day to Him.

Its not part of the liturgy, but if done interiorly and silently there is nothing wrong with it, IMHO.

However the LOTH does have intercessions for this purpose at Lauds and Vespers, and it is right and proper to add your own intentions to those published in the book. That is the proper and intended place for it; the liturgy has already taken into account the need for local or private intentions, and that’s where I add my private intentions.

I would not however do it out loud after each psalm or canticle. In some LOTH books there are psalm prayers after each psalm and canticle. Those are licit to use, though they are not very popular. The French LOTH does not have them, but a French monastic breviary that I regularly use has them. I do not use them however.

3 Likes

LOTH is the prayers of the Church, once only observed by Religious…Its great that now more members of the laity pray the LOTH, but it leaves questions such as these.

This is one reason I like the idea of incorporating the readings of the LOTH into my private devotion, without my having to pray them at assigned times, or in a particular format.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.