Offering a mass?

Hello all,

I'm currently in RCIA, but plan on fully converting to the Catholic Church out of Protestantism.

I understand that the mass is the representation of the sacrifice at calvary. I've also learned that you can offer masses for the soul of someone else, be they living or dead. You can even offer mass for your own soul.

But I was wondering if you can offer mass and/or invoke a Blessed or a Saint? Or is that pointless, since they're already in Heaven?

I have a particular Blessed in mind that I wish to make my Patron Saint, and was wondering if I could offer a mass for him for his intercession?

Or is my thinking off here?

Well, the Mass could not be for the repose of the saint or blessed's soul, because upon beatification it is presumed that the soul is in Heaven. I think that's why it's sometimes called the Beatific Vision.

I converted to Catholicism through the RCIA program, as well, back in 1996.

One of the things I found out on here not too long ago is that a canonized saint is an individual that the Church has firm assurance of being in Heaven and can be venerated by the entire Church.

A beatified individual, on the other hand, is almost assuredly in Heaven, but should only be venerated in his local diocese. So you may wish to keep this in mind.

I believe you could request a Mass be offered that God would reveal to His Church, through examination or miracles, that the beatified individual you have in mind is worthy of veneration by the entire Church.

I am a guy, and asked for the intercessory patronage of a male and a female saint, St. Paul and St. Joan of Arc.

May Blessed Mary, Queen of the Saints, advance the cause of the beatified individual who has touched your heart.

Some will have a Mass said to a Saint in thanksgiving for a favor or answered prayer.

That's so nice :)

You could make an offering for your own intentions (without necessarily specifying what they are), I sometimes hear this ("for the intentions of N." or "of the family N.") or, perhaps, "in thanksgiving to saint N." (for being your Patron Saint and interceding for you).

Holy Mass is truly Christ's sacrifice, the same that took place on Calvary, which, having stepped out of time, is now in eternity and shall be repeated every day from east to west, until the end of time.

The benefits that derive from Holy Mass are literally infinite. That is why we often make a pious offering asking the priest to offer the Sacrifice for the sake of departed souls or of the souls of living in need of great help.

To a faithful who asked S. Padre Pio about how great were the benefits of even just attending Mass, he replied: "they cannot be enumerated, you will only be made aware of them in Heaven." And to a saint (who had done great things and received countless blessings from Christ, but I don't remember her name) who asked the Lord in a mystic vision how could she give Him thanks for a lifetime of blessings, the Lord replied: "attend one Mass."

I did not feel this back when I was a candidate myself, but now I love RCIA candidates and catechumens so much that I can hardly express it. :hug1:

Interesting information. I didn't know that a Blessed should only be venerated in his local diocese.

The person I'm interested in is Fra Angelico. He was beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1983. If he was beatified by the Pope, can he still only be venerated in his local diocese?

saints.sqpn.com/blessed-fra-angelico/
archive.catholicherald.co.uk/article/22nd-july-1983/2/painter-friar-of-renaissance-to-be-made-blessed
catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=478

This Church in Illinois has a shrine devoted to Fra Angelico. saint-mark.net/church/shrine_mission.aspx

The Catholic Herald article says: "FRA ANGELICO. the Renaissance Florentine painter of the Nativity (above) and other great works, has been speeded on his way to official beatification, thanks to a decision by Pope John Paul to cut out some formalities of the usual procedure.
In a document sent to the Rome • headquarters of the Dominican order this month the Pope set February 18 as the date when Blessed Angelico may be honoured in Catholic liturgies throughout the world. The document bestowing the honour on the 15th century painter was a "motu proprio," meaning that the Pope was acting on his own Initiative."

So, since this came from the Pope, is it ok to venerate and ask for the intercession of Fra Angelico?

I'm a traditional painter and have known about Fra Angelico for a long time. When I learned about the communion of saints, I looked to see if there was a patron saint for artists. There's barely any, but I found that Fra Angelico was one, and was very excited...

I genuienly don't understand this offering of a Mass?

I know last week in the Sermon our Priest did include something like of course he does it as much for himself as for others... But this isn't something I personally have thought about and not entirely sure if Anglicans do anyway but I am myself amongst Anglicans and might well think not what Anglican thinking is, if you catch my drift there.

Its never announced at our Masses or is that because no one requests any intentions? The nearest I got to intentions was for the healing part of the service afterwards and I didn't want to say that even but had emailed the priest so he was aware what for. But intentions. I just go because I enjoy being a part of the celebrating Mass and worshipping God.

I got told that once my parents (and I ) got a special mention at Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve because I was on life support with Meningitis. And I think I was given another on St Stephen (boxing Day?-off which no one goes unless its a Sunday :) ) and that may have been a Mass offered given? for me by the priest at the time. I think that the nearest our church has ever come to intentions and offering mass for in all the time I've been going and aware of and I been going 25 years approx. Is it something Anglicans as a rule just don't do or is it that church I am at just haven't gone down that route per se since I am only aware of myself being the only one that may have come anywhere near it from what you describe? Tough that may be because it done so subtly in our church perhaps so only the people concerned would know?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.