Offering of Suffering?

My aunt came to me and asked me about the whole offering of suffering. I said I didn’t know but, I would ask ya’ll. She asked me why all the suffering and why would “Offering it up” do any good? “Didn’t Jesus do all that already?”

Could anyone help me come up with a good answer for her? (Please include scriptures, she is protestant.)

Hey there!

Colossians 1:24 is a good place to start. :slight_smile:

Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions

As a Catholic say Amen, Amen! The grace of the cross is sufficient and infinite!

However, as St Paul is saying here we can suffer and share in the sufferings of Christ on “behalf of His body, which is the Church” so we can unite ourselves with Him in suffering for the sake of others.

[quote=Matthew 10:38]and whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me
[/quote]

We need to take up our own cross, our own sufferings, if we are to be worthy of Christ.

Hope this helps,

JD

Our participation is missing as Johndigger pointed out in Colossians.

Also…

Philippians1:29 For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for Him…

Romans 5:3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance…

Romans 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Ephesians 3:13 I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory.

Philippians 3:10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings

2 Thessalonians 1:5 All this is evidence that God’s judgment is right, and as a result you will be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are suffering.

2 Timothy 1:8 So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel

1 Peter 2:19 For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God.

1 Peter 2:20-21 But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

1 Peter 4:13 But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

Revelation 1:9 I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.

One of the best explanations of suffering is that suffering can be best described as the refiner’s fire. Like fire is used in the natural world to purify natural thinks like metals , water etc , god used the "fire " of suffering to purify Christians here on earth

This is something this Methodist girl has come to understand, from the good people here.
I think of it this way: When I am sick or hurting, & there is nothing I can do to stop it, I ask the Lord to accept all my groans & fussing, & the like, as prayers for those who need prayer…There are so many:( who have no one to pray for them…
It makes pain easier to bear, to know that, when I am too miserable to pray with words, I can offer my pain as a prayer. Because it is doing some good, you see…

Romans 8:26 speaks of “groanings that cannot be uttered”, through the intercession of the Holy Spirit. Our tears are prayers to God!!

Thank you for your reply and the verse, Zooey!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.