Offering the Mass in dire circumstances...any books?

I just got done reading "Defenders of the Faith". It was a great book. What touched me most was the stories of priests who offered the Holy Mass, sometimes by themselves, often with the reality of death looming over them if they should be caught. My religious community also watched a video about Cardinal Than, a Vietnamese Cardinal held in solitary confinement for years. He would offer Mass using his hand as an altar, with just a few drops of wine and water, and a small piece of bread for the host.

Add to that stories of the Eucharist in concentration camps, during times of persecution--both recent and historical, on battlefields. Or stories of people who attended Mass even though it might mean persecution. These stories are all over Catholic history, and I personally find them very encouraging and uplifting.

Want to know why the Holy Mass is important? Read how these people risked, suffered, and drew sustenance from it. This touches my heart even more than books like Scott Hahn's, The Lamb's Supper. That was a great book, and I needed to hear, know, and learn that information, but these stories stir not just my intellect, but my soul.

So, to get to my question, does anyone know of a book where stories like this are gathered together?

Thanks for posting the info. I don't know any books to recommend but will be getting the one you mentioned. Incidentally, who is the author as there are several books with this title?

The book is Defenders of the Faith in Word and Deed by Charles Connor. The other is The Road of Hope: A Gospel from Prison by Francis Xavier Cardinal Nguyen Van Thuan. There is a movie by the same name. Both very beautiful.

Thanks!

My religious community also watched a video about Cardinal Than, a Vietnamese Cardinal held in solitary confinement for years. He would offer Mass using his hand as an altar, with just a few drops of wine and water, and a small piece of bread for the host.

wow!! that's very moving

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.