Offering up trials For Jesus?

I have been having a problem understanding this consept for some time now. I want to understand as it seems so beautiful.

How does one offer up ones trials to Jesus Christ for the repentance of souls? How does it work? I know Jesus Christ offered up his life for mine so how does my little trials offered up even mean anything in light of that sacrifice? How does my pain/trials help others? How does one offer it correctly?

My dear frind

You just tell Jesus you wish to join your sufferings or sacrifices with His and offer them for whatecer purposes you like. Suffering is a very potent form of prayer. We are all co-redeemers with Christ when we do this. We are other christs when baptised and must experience all Jesus exprienced to a lesser or larger degree. Our lives are meant to resemble His. He is the head and we are the body. His suffering is over but in time we who are His body complete what is lacking ithe sufferings of Christ. Whenever we offer our sufferings and sacrifices we lessen our Lords suffering during His passion and death. We can lessen our Blessed Mothers suffering this way too. Hope this helps?

God bless you dear friend:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

s4angelOffering up trials For Jesus?
I have been having a problem understanding this consept for some time now. I want to understand as it seems so beautiful.

How does one offer up ones trials to Jesus Christ for the repentance of souls? How does it work? I know Jesus Christ offered up his life for mine so how does my little trials offered up even mean anything in light of that sacrifice? How does my pain/trials help others? How does one offer it correctly?

Actually (I believe scripture says) that we are not offering up our trials to Jesus…rather…we are sharing in his sufferings (His trials)…it is really his suffering ( His trials)…why?..because…once we are baptized…into his death on the cross…we die and are resurrected in His Body…so we are a new person in His Body…and it is His Body (not ours) that is actually suffering…we are part the Body of Christ. And BECAUSE…it is really and truely…Christ’s suffering (trial)…not ours…IT can be applied to/for others…even for our own needs/repentance…BECAUSE…only Christ’s sufferings are pleasing and efficacious to/in the presence of the Father…so in the Holy Sacrifice Of the Mass we join the priest in:

Doxology and Great Amen**:**
*** Priest***: Through him, with him, and** in him**, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honor is yours, almighty Father, for ever and ever.
All: Amen!

Notice…in this final offering (doxology)…there is no mention of “us”…because there is no “us” in the Body of Christ…we are simply one…especially when an/any offering is being made to the Father!

1 Tim 2: 5 (NAB)
5For there is one God. There is also one mediator between God and the human race, Christ Jesus, himself human,

Look at how clear St. Paul is on this point…about how all is Christ sufferings…we just share in it…especially on Calvary…but even today (notice also how our sharing in Christ’s sufferings…is always for someone else (…for your…):

1 Cor 1: 5-6 (NIV-UK)
5 For** just** as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.
6 If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.

Note also…the word…“comfort”…so who gives us this comfort? Paul tells us just two verses before these Words:

2 Cor 1: 3 (NIV-UK)
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,** the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort**,

…just like The Father strengthened and comforted his Son in Gethsemane…[INDENT]

Luke 22: 42-43 (NAB)
42 saying, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me; still, not my will but yours be done.” 43 And to strengthen him an angel from heaven appeared to him.

[/INDENT]Note: if you saw the Mel Gibson’s Passion of The Christ.…remember how different Jesus’ demeanor was at his capture from this earlier "sweating blood and great agony…dueling with the sinister Satan lurking in the Garden…and Jesus begging three times…asking the Father to take away this cup. Bishop Fulton Sheen (+1979–God bless him in Eternal Peace and Joy) always said that this was the definitive “Yes” in the Garden…that destroyed Satan and saved us…because Jesus went into the Garden as the Son of God and the Son of Man…and came out as the Lamb of God…ready to be led to the sacrifice…the perfect sacrifice…for all sin…for all men…for all time…who as the Lamb of God…would never judge us again…but only suffer and sacrifice…for us as that Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the World…which is precisely what Saint Paul is saying about us sharing in the Lamb of God’s sufferings…we are simply sharing.

Lastly…and this is the really hard part to me…the comfort/consolation comes…not from looking at it as our suffering but only when we literally see it as Christ’s suffering…and we take joy in being able to share…are honored that he lets us suffer with him…then the Father’s angles of strength “appear”…and then we are strengthened… and find joy and peace. I always rediscover how weak and puny my faith really is at this point…and pray:

Mark 9: 24 (NAB)
24 Then the boy’s father cried out, "I do believe, help my unbelief!

Pax Christi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.