Offertory Donation Announcement

I know that I rarely post threads like this, but I wanted to see what CAF thought about this.

I was at Mass this past Sunday in my home diocese (not the one I’m studying for), and at the beginning of the Offertory (as the altar servers start to set the altar, and the collection baskets are starting to be passed around, but before the Offertory hymn starts), there was an announcement saying that “5% of today’s collection is going to such-and-such local charity” (I can’t remember which one, but it’s not really relevant to the matter at hand). This isn’t the first time, as I heard it at Christmas too (at a different parish, but in the same city).

I was already is a bit of a down mood at this point (after the Gloria was skipped, but that’s another issue entirely. We only hear it so often, so it’s a bit sad when that happens), but this announcement made me a bit angry actually. So these are my reasons:

1. I found it plain distracting. It really sets the wrong mood in Mass for me. We’ve just finished the Liturgy of the Word where the Word has been given to us, and we’re about to be fed with Jesus himself.

2. Following number 1, it feels to me like they’re taking the focus on Christ and almost (figuratively) hi-fiving each other for their good charity. It seems too self-congragulatory and disingenuous even.

So, am I right about these feelings or am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill?

http://http://hardfluff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dontmakeamountainoutofamolehill2.jpg

hardfluff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dontmakeamountainoutofamolehill2.jpg

I would have been far more annoyed that the Gloria was omitted. I don’t have a problem with the announcement at all, although IMO announcements are best placed after the Gospel and before the homily.

Perhaps you could suggest to father the possibility of a second collection, or of collection outside after mass?:)

In the scheme of things it is small potatoes.

In my current parish, there is no passing of the baskets. Parish members are encouraged to make a yearly pledge that is fulfilled annually, quarterly, monthly, or weekly. There are collection boxes at the entrances of the Church. When there is a “second” collection, an announcement is made after the final blessing that money will be taken out of the pledges but if someone wants to donate further, the boxes are available. This works because most of the “second collections” repeat themselves year after year. They have been doing this for close to50 years.

It is amusing to see visitors scramble to get their dollars out only to discover
there is no basket being passed.

In a previous parish I attended in my twenties, the 5% was announced in the bulletin.Non-profit groups could request to be on the list, but they had to be vetted through the parish council and financial committee.

There are creative ways to ensure a collection takes place and maintain the dignity of the liturgy. AS I like to say, “someone just has to think longer than five minutes into the future.”

]At our parish, such announcements that pertain to the mass itself are made at the very beginning. The message goes like this.

Welcome to St. Patrick. This is the "number of Sunday or feast day", Father .... is our celebrant today. Other announcements such as second collection, the mass intention, and lastly to silence cell phones would be made at this time.

Then the entrance antiphon or processional hymn is announced, and off we go! Nothing extra is inserted into the mass liturgy except the following.

Announcements at the end of mass are given before the Dismissal and have to do with parish events, C.C.D., choir, et cetera.

Is there any really good place for announcements? The bulletin contains many such, but last minute items, items that might need extra emphasis, .....where?

Actually, this was a hot button issue in our parish and the solution was to have announcements before the dismissal. And announcements meant items of an emergencyy nature that did not make the bulletin, last minute cancellations, etc., or events that were happening that day. Other that that people are told to pick up a bulletin (they are not put out by the ushers until after communion) or check the parish website

sorry, but I just do not see the issue here at all. MOLEHILL.

The GIRM is clear:

**The Concluding Rites

**90. To the Concluding Rites belong the following:
a) brief announcements, should they be necessary;
b) the Priest’s Greeting and Blessing, which on certain days and occasions is expanded and expressed by the Prayer over the People or another more solemn formula;
c) the Dismissal of the people by the Deacon or the Priest, so that each may go back to doing good works, praising and blessing God;
d) the kissing of the altar by the Priest and the Deacon, followed by a profound bow to the altar by the Priest, the Deacon, and the other ministers.

You should go to the Latin Mass. Neither of these things take place there.

In our parish, when we earmark something, it’s a second collection. (Fuel, maintenance are the most common ones and then things like St Vincent dePaul). The cantor announces it just before Mass begins, and its printed on the envelopes so you pretty much know what’s coming.

[quote="curlycool89, post:1, topic:335405"]
I know that I rarely post threads like this, but I wanted to see what CAF thought about this.

I was at Mass this past Sunday in my home diocese (not the one I'm studying for), and at the beginning of the Offertory (as the altar servers start to set the altar, and the collection baskets are starting to be passed around, but before the Offertory hymn starts), there was an announcement saying that "5% of today's collection is going to such-and-such local charity" (I can't remember which one, but it's not really relevant to the matter at hand). This isn't the first time, as I heard it at Christmas too (at a different parish, but in the same city).

I was already is a bit of a down mood at this point (after the Gloria was skipped, but that's another issue entirely. We only hear it so often, so it's a bit sad when that happens), but this announcement made me a bit angry actually. So these are my reasons:

1. I found it plain distracting. It really sets the wrong mood in Mass for me. We've just finished the Liturgy of the Word where the Word has been given to us, and we're about to be fed with Jesus himself.

2. Following number 1, it feels to me like they're taking the focus on Christ and almost (figuratively) hi-fiving each other for their good charity. It seems too self-congragulatory and disingenuous even.

So, am I right about these feelings or am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill?

[/quote]

Mountain out of a molehill, and you are reading far too much into the action. If you let little things like this make you angry and upset during Mass, you are the one taking the focus off of Christ.

This is a very small thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.