Official Books of Saints

I love to read about the saints. For the West, we have the Roman Martyrology as the official book of saints for the Roman rite (in its 2004 and 1962 forms). Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Synaxarion is roughly the equivalent for Churches which follow Byzantine rites. For Eastern Churches which follow other rites, such as the Coptic and Maronite Churches, does anyone know what their books of the saints are called? Are there any on-line resources for official lists of saints in the various Eastern Catholic Churches?

Thanks and God bless,

Fr. Boyd

Here father is a link that lists the Maronite saints at least. It doesn’t really give stories behind them but I believe that the Maronite Divine Office has that sort of stuff in it.

maronite-heritage.com/html/maronite_synaxarion.html

Thanks! I love the Maronite liturgy; I’ve been on retreat several times with the Maronite Monks in Petersham, MA.

There’s a book called the Prologue (sometimes spelled Prolog) which was translated into Serbian and edited by St. Nicholas Velimirovic (again, various spellings). This version was then translated into English. (It was originally in Slavonic; it’s the equivalent of the Greek Synaxarion, which is included in the Menaia, Triodion, and Penetecostarion.)

The Prologue is a liturgical book. It contains several brief lives of saints, comments on their lives, points for meditation, and a homily on each day.

It’s available on line at various sites of the Serbian Church.

Christ is Born! Glorify Him!

Dear Father, yes, you are correct that our daily equivalent of the Martyrology is the Synaxarion. It is usually read by a single reader after the 6th Ode, Kontakion and Ikos of the Canon at Matins. As Cluny has mentioned, another important source that is often used is the Prologue of Ochrid.
FDRLB

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.