'Official' Our Father - double doxology?

I asked this on ‘Ask an Apologist’ and it didn’t get selected so I’m hoping you all can help me.

Our liturgical coordinator has finally convinced our priest to sing the Our Father at Mass. The version she has picked out includes the doxology (For thine is the kingdom, the power…etc.). She says she has permission to sing this doxology directly after ‘…deliver us from evil’.

My questions are:

Is this allowed? (the GIRM to me implies it is not, but I don’t trust myself enough with the GIRM to interpret it that way).

If it is allowed, does the priest still have to say 'Deliver us Lord from ever evil, and grant us peace…etc.) and then we follow it again with 'for the kingdom, the power, etc. ). This seems silly to me to say the doxology twice.

Finally, is there ‘official’ Roman Catholic wording for the Our Father somewhere? The CCC includes the doxology, but to me, it wasn’t clear if this was considered actually part of the Lord’s Prayer or not, and what the preference is when it’s recited outside the Mass. The reason I’m asking is some of our church staff now include this doxology when they lead a committee at the church in the Our Father. Is this a new trend?
Thank you!

I should have posted this on the Liturgy forum…I’m sorry. I forgot where I was.

Moved it for you. No problem.
Your servant in Christ,
Michael Francis

Yes the priest must say his portion before the doxology. No permission from Rome or otherwise has ever been forthcoming nor will there be because that portion that the priest says has always been in the liturgy since the patristic era where as the doxology is new and was only said in para liturgical situations in the early church.

BTW a local Bishop does not have the right to change this portion of the liturgy it must be done directly through the Congregation of Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.

I understand now that the priest has to say his portion and then we all say the doxology, but is there anything to keep us from singing it as part of the prayer, and then the priest saying his part and us repeating the doxology? This may sound odd, but I can see it happening at our parish.

Also, is there any reason why, when we pray the “Our Father” outside of Mass at a church function we should/shouldn’t leave off the doxology? Including it seems to be a trend at our church with some staff members and ministry leaders. Is there any official documentation telling us what the words to the Our Father are for Catholics? In every child’s religion book, prayer book, etc. Iv’e looked at, I’ve never seen the doxology as part of the prayer, but I can’t seem to find anything official from Rome?

No to the first question because the doxology is not properly part of the Our Father. It is an addition. The rubrics must be followed exactly because they are placed that way for a reason. Also, the Congregation has stated that the words of the mass are not to be altered tis would include adding or subtracting from the words of the mass … nor can one mix them around.

Traditionally (meaning since the early middle ages) the doxology has not been said in public or private devotion. However if one reads the didiche they will find it being used in non liturgical settings.

Technically, out of the context of the liturgy either way is correct.

[quote=mosher]No to the first question because the doxology is not properly part of the Our Father. It is an addition. The rubrics must be followed exactly because they are placed that way for a reason. Also, the Congregation has stated that the words of the mass are not to be altered tis would include adding or subtracting from the words of the mass … nor can one mix them around.

Traditionally (meaning since the early middle ages) the doxology has not been said in public or private devotion. However if one reads the didiche they will find it being used in non liturgical settings.

Technically, out of the context of the liturgy either way is correct.
[/quote]

Thank you so much. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to help people on this forum as much as you all have helped me.

[quote=Elzee]Thank you so much. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to help people on this forum as much as you all have helped me.
[/quote]

Just read the documents. Most of them are very accessable to the average person. I would also recommend a subscription to Adoremus Magazine for the liturgical questions. So far as I am seen they are a good solid group that are not uber-traditional but desire as I think most of us do to have the actual rules followed at mass. I suggest chechink out their site at www.adoremus.org

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.