Official resources?

I noticed that there are slight variations of some prayers or creeds like the Apostles Creed (I’ve seen like three different variations in the different books I’m reading).

Where can I find official texts for prayers and creeds?

The official texts are found in the Roman Missal. The Missal companies like Manigicat and the one that publishes the St. Joseph Missal print the correct texts for the Mass.

We should not be using anything that deviates from the official texts. According to Redemptionis Sacramentum:

[69.] In Holy Mass as well as in other celebrations of the Sacred Liturgy, no Creed or Profession of Faith is to be introduced which is not found in the duly approved liturgical books.

So, the texts have to match what is in the Roman Missal. Now, in the United States, we generally use the Nicene Creed; however, in Mases with Children (where the kids make up a majority of the faithful at the Mass), they may use the Apostles Creed.

I hope this helps.

The 2002 Latin edition of the Roman Missal has the Apostles’ Creed. But approved translations of this have not yet been published.

An official liturgical book with the Apostles’ Creed is called “Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults”. The United States of America edition of this is in The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0, page 120. (More recent editions of this book can be found.)

The version in this book is the same as the one at thecatholictreasurechest.com/creeds.htm

But note that it could be different in different countries. And a new translation is (or new translations are) expected with the new publication of English language editions of the Roman Missal.

The Compendium of the Catechism (available free online) has a collection of prayers in Latin with their official English translations.

That really depends on your own purposes.

If you’re looking for an official translation for liturgical use, then the approved versions of the Sacramentary, Rite of Baptism, etc. etc. will contain the official versions. Of course, not every prayer used by Catholics will appear in these texts.

On the other hand, if you’re looking for translations for scholarly use, there really are no official versions. Any version which has an imprimatur or the certification of “Concordat cum originali” (in harmony with the original) can be trusted.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.