Official: Some Clinton emails 'too damaging' to release

Official: Some Clinton emails ‘too damaging’ to release

By Catherine Herridge, Pamela K. Browne
January 29, 2016 FoxNews.com

EXCLUSIVE: The intelligence community has deemed some of Hillary Clinton’s emails “too damaging" to national security to release under any circumstances, according to a U.S. government official close to the ongoing review. A second source, who was not authorized to speak on the record, backed up the finding.

The determination was first reported by Fox News, hours before the State Department formally announced Friday that seven email chains, found in 22 documents, will be withheld “in full” because they, in fact, contain “Top Secret” information.

The State Department, when first contacted by Fox News about withholding such emails Friday morning, did not dispute the reporting – but did not comment in detail. After a version of this report was first published, the Obama administration confirmed to the Associated Press that the seven email chains would be withheld. The department has since confirmed those details publicly…

It is a striking contrast between the fate of General Petraeus under the Obama administration and the fate of Hillary Clinton.

Two men indicted for using false IDs Hillary skates on jeopardizing national security

If they are too damaging to national security to release, then that is proof that she has broken the law!

Are my understanding of the facts wrong? That when they were first sent to her private server they were not classified as top secret? That that classification only happen some time later?

I haven’t had time to follow the unfolding story.
Looking for dispassionate facts, not emotional knee jerk reactions, please . :slight_smile:

(edit to add what I found. It seems to back what I had heard. That these emails were not top secret at the time of them being sent, but have been upgraded after the fact. )

But The Associated Press learned seven email chains are being withheld in full for containing “top secret” information. The 37 pages include messages a key intelligence official recently said concerned “special access programs” -highly restricted, classified material that could point to confidential sources or clandestine programs like drone strikes.

"The documents are being upgraded at the request of the intelligence community because they contain a category of top secret information," State Department spokesman John Kirby told the AP, calling the withholding of documents in full “not unusual.” That means they won’t be published online with others being released, even with blacked-out boxes.

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CLINTON_EMAILS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-29-14-48-31

She probably did break the law, but I’m willing to bet she suffers no legal ramifications from doing so. :shrug:

It could cost her the election, but prison? No. No Clinton ever serves time in prison.

I’d rather Sanders be the Democratic nominee myself anyway.

Well its certainly not only Fox anymore now is it. :wink: It doesn’t matter what Hillary states about the emails what matters is what the state dept and FBI states. And it was sent on an unsecured server. :shrug:

Well, according to the AP they are being “reclassified” top secret, and then there is this:

“Even if Clinton didn’t write or forward the messages, she still would have been required to report any classification slippages she recognized in emails she received. But without classification markings, that may have been difficult, especially if the information was publicly available.”

So, it would seem she has s out. :shrug:

I don’t even care that much anymore. I don’t trust any politician of any party. It comes down to which I think is the lesser evil and the least narcissistic. Some choice! :rolleyes:

Seems to me that most correspondence going to and from the SoS would be classified, certainly most of them would be. This excuse that they were not marked as such is a farce.

Not really. Most aren’t marked. (Learned that from a previous news article.)

Depends on what the meaning of the sword “is” is…just more of the same:rolleyes:

According to the Associated Press, the Obama administration has confirmed Clinton’s server had top-secret information, censoring 22 emails containing material requiring the highest levels of classification. The State Department is releasing another batch of Clinton’s emails on Friday, but the AP reported that seven chains were being withheld because of the sensitivity of the material.

freebeacon.com/politics/white-house-clinton-not-indicted-emails-based-on-what-we-know/

If she is indicted, she will receive a pardon.

The notion that a Cabinet official, such as Secretary of State, does not know if information is classified, sensitive or OUO is an odd notion to have. Those who have access to information must endure annual training that repeatedly drills the basic nature and consequences of incorrectly disseminating information of all kinds, and that appropriate reviews must be made prior to exposing it to an unclassified or open network. If it had to do with Cabinet level work, it most certainly merited some kind of protection other than residing on a private, non-government server. I have seen people marched out of buildings, or arrested for less.

I understand what’s allegedly taken place. I also understand what took place when every other politician - in both parties - broke the law. They all do it so much, I just don’t care any more. Clinton is no worse than the rest of the bunch. Just another politician who cares about nothing but himself or herself and can use power and position to evade the law. yawn

I wish an honest politician would come along, but I don’t see that happening. Sanders seems the most honest to me. If he weren’t, he’d be the Democratic front runner because he’d be saying everything most Americans want to hear.

Strange - or not - how this is coming out with only three days to the Iowa vote. :rolleyes: I don’t think it will affect it. I think Clinton supporters would still vote for her if she were in prison.

The emails were “upgraded,” meaning they weren’t top secret when Clinton had control of them. Should she have used her home server? No. Will she go to prison for doing it? No way. Anyone who thinks so is living in dreamland. Politicians can get away with anything, unfortunately.

A lot of people think Clinton possesses all the virtues you don’t ascribe to her. Her base of voters is very large and loyal, and btw, I’m not one. I just don’t think she’s as bad as some of the rest of you do. I think she’s pretty “par for the course” for a very corrupt Washington.
[/quote]

MSNBC, CNN, and Fox are all calling them “upgraded” and saying they were not marked when Clinton sent them.

msnbc.com/kate-snow/watch/clinton-emails-upgraded-to-top-secret-611738179525

“The documents are being upgraded at the request of the intelligence community because they contain a category of top secret information,” State Department spokesman John Kirby told the AP, calling the withholding of documents in full “not unusual.” That means they won’t be published online with others being released, even with blacked-out boxes."

bigstory.ap.org/article/e19abf78b6fe43e7b7719f059901630d/apnewsbreak-govt-finds-top-secret-info-clinton-emails

This will just make those who hate Hillary Clinton hate her more, and those that support her circle the wagons. It will not change the outcome of the 2016 election.

Didn’t she ask her office people to send messages ‘paperless’, which means as far as I understand they take off Classified or TS and rewrite the message in their own words… I don’t know. “What is truth?” We are still asking that question!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.