Officials Move to Take Christian Bakers’ Home After Couple Refuses to Pay $135,000 to Lesbians

PORTLAND, Ore. — Officials in Oregon have moved to take the home and/or other assets of a Christian couple as they are refusing to pay $135,000 in emotional damages to two lesbian women that filed a complaint after the couple declined to make a cake at their bakery for their “wedding” ceremony.

As previously reported, in February, a judge with the Oregon BOLI declared Aaron and Melissa Klein of Sweet Cakes by Melissa guilty of discrimination for declining to make the cake because of their Christian convictions, thus moving the matter into the sentencing phase.

christiannews.net/2015/10/04/officials-move-to-take-christian-bakers-home-after-couple-refuses-to-pay-135000-to-lesbians/

More insanity…Good Lord,help us!:eek::mad:

Why not the death penalty?

I didn’t read the article but maybe they don’t have the money upfront. Couldn’t some sort of negotiation have been done, such as paying what they can in installments? I guess the law doesn’t work that way. Still, no matter who is right in this complex situation, the penalty seems to me rather severe.

I feel your angst, but your reaction while understandable, might be a little over the top.

Why not the death penalty? Well, if we scrap away the sarcasm, the death penalty violates the premise of “an eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth”, which is not against overwhelming vengeance, but about justice with restraint and compassion.

Is the penalty of taking the home over failure to fulfill judgment passed by a court of law? No. Contrary to popular belief, we are a nation of laws, and not necessarily a nation of justice…often law and justice in America don’t always appear to be in synch to those outside the legal profession.

The thing is, the court’s decision to take the home is not punishment for the offense ruled on, but for failure to carrying out the judgment of the court.

Unfortunate? Clearly. Rather severe? No, especially when considering our legal system is based on precedence. If a court waives a judgment for this case, it sets the stage that some or all other judgments by our courts can be ignored.

The result would be anarchy.

The death penalty being *rather *severe? :eek: I thought Democrat and liberals were opposed to the death penalty?

The problem with this story is that the official issuing the fine was corrupted and seemingly was collaborating inappropriately with some gay rights activist group to the point of them even recommending this level of fine. This manner is very unbecoming of an elected official, and stands regardless of whether or not one agrees with what the business did.

Just imagine if the CEO of Chevron became the director for the EPA and all 5 major oil companies were doing what that gay rights group did in terms of collaboration and advisement. It would be all over the news 24-7 with critical reporting.

I had wondered why they were getting such a large fine, and clearly the collaboration is the reason why.

Now, the business has raised a lot of money from this nonsense, but they also deny claims they’ve raised 500K, which apparently was reported. They aren’t paying the fine, are appealing the decision and are noting they are still not financially because they aren’t sure what is going to happen.

The suit itself is absurd, indicating that the gay couple “suffered” emotional distress and couldn’t sleep over this.

I mean, really?

When my wedding was being planned, we had problems with the price negotiation, but I never lost sleep or suffered greatly over that.

If this tells me anything, it’s that gay relationships are too fragile to be equal to straight ones, for this and a myriad of other reasons.

Furthermore, I think it’s obvious what would be going on if these business owners were minorities or were Muslim instead of Christian…

All this talk of the death penalty just goes to show that maybe there will be martyrs over the marriage issue against the faux “tolerance and diversity” tyranny of the gay rights movement, which of course stops dead in its tracks when it comes to Islam and turnout for Hillary 2016.

If these bakers were non-white and/or practicing a religion like Islam, I would say that the “distressed” gay couple would be told by at least some around the world to take a hike in so many words and perhaps even to tolerate others who are different.

Despite the fact that PC folks, liberals and young people in North America obsess over the gay rights issues, the fact is that so-called gay “marriage” is expendable.

In the USA, if every single minority who disagreed with gay “marriage” said they were going to boycott every single election until its gone, I promise that the leaders in DC would make sure the opposition got a clear path to the court and it would in fact be gone.

The entire support system for this issue is based on lies, extreme personal selfishness and to be very blunt: cowardice. As such, getting so-called gay"marriage" to be struck down is not as difficult as some imagine, and one way or another, it will destroy itself if it isn’t destroyed by some other external force.

Completely agree. This seems more of setting an example than anything else. Augusta National Golf Club did not allow African-Americans to join until 1990. Women were not allowed as members until 2012. I understand it is a private club which people state “can do anything it wants” but discrimination is discrimination, period. (which is what the case is based upon in this instance) No homes were ever threatened to be taken in Augusta.

It’s discrimination when a restaurant tells people who are barefoot and shirtless can’t come inside.

It’s discrimination when amusement parks tell people below a certain height they aren’t allowed on the rides.

As far as private clubs go, we have honour societies in academia that only take the best and brightest. That’s discrimination as well.

The fact is discrimination happens ALL of the time, and most of that time, it isn’t a bad thing.

[quote=Christiannewsnet]“It’s difficult to understand the Kleins’ unwillingness to pay the debt when they have, very publicly, raised nearly a half million dollars,” Charlie Burr, communications director for BOLI, told reporters. “They are entitled to a full and fair review of the case, but do not have the right to disregard a legally binding order.”
[/quote]

They received 109,00 from Go Fund Me alone specifically for paying this judgement to not use it for it’s intended purpose smacks of fraud. I have no sympathy for these folks.

Actually, my point was to the severity of the punishment. The bakery case was based upon alleged discrimination. I simply cited another circumstance in which blatant discrimination took place (not shirtless or height requirements but race and gender) and the repercussions were not the same. My opinion on this case has been stated in numerous other posts; so I chose to focus on the topic rather than repeat it. And you are right, discrimination does happen ALL the time. It doesn’t make some types of it a good thing either.

No, not in this county…there will be no martyrs over this issue…We hear a lot of talk but little action. Many will not even remotely inconvenience themselves for issues of faith or morality, let alone martyr themselves.

A perfect example is the whole gun issue…We see a lot of outrage over abortion (and rightfully so), but even after 20 five and six years old are killed in a classroom, many call it a shame, but do not want to spend tax dollars on medical health care, and do not want more laws (nor do they really want to enforce the ones on the books, although it is their mantra) that don’t necessarily prohibit gun ownership, but simply require ownership responsibilities.

:thumbsup: I changed my mind about this very situation when a reporter asked the husband what he based their decision to not bake the wedding cake on, biblical concerns or dogma of his faith tradition, and he could answer neither question because he didn’t know. When I looked at the Go Fund Me site, The reality became very clear. What happens is that, people will take advantage of big hearted Americans when they realize that financial gain is at stake. This bakery case is making it much more difficult for real discrimination cases such as the Little Sisters of the Poor to make headway with legitimate concerns.

(Disclaimer: yes, I’m a supporter of LGBTQ civil rights, but that does not mean I support EVERY cause):shrug:

Very sad case!

By July, the couple had raised donations for their legal fees of approx. $360,000 on sites like Go Fund Me and others–about three times what they owe.
It’s probably much more by now.

Still, they have refused to pay what the court has ordered them to pay.

Of course they are refusing----they are appealing, as this goes against their beliefs.

:rolleyes:

Let me get this straight: this comment is saying the bakers are out to scam people out of money?

And the other part of the strategy here is…what, exactly? To try and get us to support the, ahem, “aggrieved” gay couple because this case somehow hurts the Little Sisters of the Poor?

Classic secular-progressive thinking to avoid the central substance issue because those who support progressive causes can’t defend them on an even playing field.

Also, Catholics should NOT support so-called gay “marriage”, even if it makes them look :cool: and even if they just want one secular vice to hold onto so that they may tell all of their friends "I’m Catholic but I support so-called gay “marriage, aren’t I above the rest and neat in your eyes?”. :rolleyes:

Can they do that?

Neofight;13332773]No, not in this county…there will be no martyrs over this issue…

They’ve already thrown a public official in jail. That’s step one.

We hear a lot of talk but little action. Many will not even remotely inconvenience themselves for issues of faith or morality, let alone martyr themselves.

First of all, I have to say that this comment is an admission that the gay rights movement is willing to commit murder, even though it now has the court ruling. Perhaps some gay “marriage” advocates really are that obsessed with impressing people to be cool. :rolleyes:

And anyone who says a Catholic or a Christian (the other religions need not worry, because as I said gay “marriage” is still expendable for certain political gains, including the appeasement of sharia law activists) won’t risk martyrdom is kidding themselves.

A perfect example is the whole gun issue…We see a lot of outrage over abortion (and rightfully so), but even after 20 five and six years old are killed in a classroom, many call it a shame, but do not want to spend tax dollars on medical health care, and do not want more laws (nor do they really want to enforce the ones on the books, although it is their mantra) that don’t necessarily prohibit gun ownership, but simply require ownership responsibilities.

Different issues because

1. The shooting in Newtown (which I guess you refer to) happened in a GUN FREE zone, where the vast majority of mass shootings in the West have occurred, and no anti-gun/ gun control favorer has told me to this very day satifisfactorily how guns end up in a gun free zone.

2. I don’t blame people for not wanting the American federal or any centralized EU government to spend tax money on health care, considering they screw up most everything they come into contact with.

My friend, if the people are willing to give the government that kind of power, so they can feel good inside and side with the world thinking they can serve both God and mammon, the sky’s the limit as to what government could do.

They have raised enough money to pay this, they are refusing to pay. The Kleins do not want to use the money to pay their obligations, nor have I seen anything about giving it back. :shrug:
The only appeal I’ve seen listed is that the judgement would cause financial hardship, this appeal has been refused.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.