Officials ordered to stop prayer in schools!

pnj.com/article/20090113/NEWS01/901130315/1006/NEWS01

“The students were relieved the court upheld their First Amendment rights in December, and school officials would not be allowed to subject them to others’ religious views,” said Brandon Hensler, ACLU of Florida director of communications.

WoW…just…Wow!

From the article:

Among the First Amendment violations listed in the ACLU suit:

n Elementary graduations and middle school Christmas concerts held at churches.

n Teachers and staff at Pace High School preaching about “Judgment Day with the Lord.”

n Teachers and staff offering Bible readings and biblical interpretations during student meetings.

Now I personally wouldn’t have a problem with the Christmas concerts. However, I would not be comfortable with item #2, teachers and staff preaching about “Judgment Day with the Lord”. I don’t know, but I’m willing to bet they weren’t preaching the Catholic version of that doctrine.

Yes, sometimes the state goes too far in suppressing religion; but other times the religious people (particularly the more enthusiastic Protestants :rolleyes: ) seem to go out of their way to flout the law.

Public school. Nuff said.

Protestant or not, I think it is pretty courageous of this school to allow Christian activity.

I spent five years as a teacher in a public school (Maths and Physics). I suspect that very few of you would have been happy if I started praying and reading scripture to the class - I am a Buddhist.

It is also worth reading Why I’m against pre-game prayers in this context.

It was a public school; if you want to teach religion then teach in a private school.

rossum

Really? Suppose your kids came home from school and told you their teacher had spent a sizeable chunk of classtime telling them about this thing called the “Rapture”, which was going to happen at any moment? Would that be Ok?

Shouldn’t teachers spend their classtime teaching? I mean, it is a school. :rolleyes:

Why is it you believe that Christian activity is not allowed at schools. The law states that any group organized BY the students are entitled to the same benefits offered by the schools as other organization. To prohibit the benefits because of religious affiliations is considered discriminatory. The only restrictions are that TEACHERS and SCHOOL OFFICIALS may monitor but they may not participate in the organizations official activities ie, prayer, bible readings ect. There is no restriction to religious activities in the schools, the restrictions are limited to who can and cannot participate.

originally posted by theistgal

Really? Suppose your kids came home from school and told you their teacher had spent a sizeable chunk of classtime telling them about this thing called the “Rapture”, which was going to happen at any moment? Would that be Ok?

Shouldn’t teachers spend their classtime teaching? I mean, it is a school.

Last year we discussed on these forum - a protestant science teacher who basically lost his job because he had a bible on his desk. Maybe I am wrong but I’d rather risk the “Rapture” than having a secular teacher teacher tell my children there was no G_D.(This actually happened.)

This happened to a friend. Her elementary child tried to take a stand against abortion and was ridiculed that she was “intolerant” of other peoples beliefs.

originally posted** by sabbath keeper**
Why is it you believe that Christian activity is not allowed at schools. The law states that any group organized BY the students are entitled to the same benefits offered by the schools as other organization. To prohibit the benefits because of religious affiliations is considered discriminatory. The only restrictions are that TEACHERS and SCHOOL OFFICIALS may monitor but they may not participate in the organizations official activities ie, prayer, bible readings ect. There is no restriction to religious activities in the schools, the restrictions are limited to who can and cannot participate.

I am from New England. I remember when pictures of loving gay couples hung in one of elementary schools on diversity day.

Our **Holiday **Concert was all about Santa.

It’s pretty tough to get elementary and middle school children to organize such a group.

And therein lies the rub. If those kids were committed to organizing these groups they’d do so. But, too often, this is merely adults shoving their religious viewpoints onto kids who just want to go to school!

When you can identify those activities as religious in nature then you have a sound argument. As neither activity, technically, advocates a particular religion and are considered secular your point is mute. Sadly, this goes on all the time, I agree with you, aethiesm is a religion, as is secular humanism, however, the world doesn’t veiw them as such. Which makes it hard for Christians to put forth the truth. But, God makes a way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.