Oh Ohhh New boss is an anti-Catholic

And I knew it was coming, I knew she would eventually get around to voicing her opinion asking questions and giving me disapproving looks for being Catholic.
It all started with her letting me know that she, “doesn’t care what religion anyone is,” that in her words, “Catholics believe just as we do (Baptist) well, except we don’t believe in the Pope.” (she sort of rolled her eyes while saying that.)
I almost said," that’s a pity because the Pope is in the Bible." But I decided against it.

She then said something about someone in her church saying that Catholics go to church everyday. Add another eye roll here and a chuckle.

I explained that THAT was correct that there is Morning Mass and Adoration. She just stared at me. LOL

Well, it may be time to put out some more resumes.:wink:

It doesn’t sound like she is anti. It just sounds like she has some misconceptions.

Well the eye rolling and the chuckle–I think it’s more anti. But I’ll keep an open mind about this.

Maybe it’s time to get out your Catechism, dust off your Bible, and get on your knees.

The Lord has sent someone to you instead of the other way around. :thumbsup:

Why would she even bring up religion at work in the first place?

You beat me to it, Phemie. I’d be making an appointment with the head of Human Resources. Her comments are unprofessional, and could be considered to create a hostile work environment.

If you decide you can’t do that until you get another job lined up, I totally understand. But PLEASE do report her, whether before or after you leave.

What are all the other Christians doing/saying about her comments? Sounds like there is a great opportunity for evangelizing not only from the Catholic[s]. :thumbsup:

Peace!!!

I would take the advice of a good lawyer - St. Thomas More who kept his head down until forced to take a position to defend his faith.
My boss told me in public that if he knew I was Catholic he would not have employed me. I did save his job when his superiors were gunning for him as he did not hold legal qualifications. I brought in most of the State Branch’s costs so my opinion was very important. Forgive your enemies and you won’t go wrong even if you have to look for another job.
Better to offer up your job than deny your God as you know.
However you don’t have to be silly about it, as St. Thomas More would tell you.
Leave your beliefs at the door and do a good job always within your moral framework as a Catholic.

I agree wholeheartedly. I would report this to Human Resources so even if you do leave the next person if Catholic isn’t stuck with having to put up with something in the work place which is illegal; religions harassment.
Mary.

Please don’t forget…

Our primary vocation / mission in this life is nothing other than to be disciples and apostles of Christ. Think of each moment and opportunity in that respect and your time here on this planet will be well spent!

P.S. Please remind me also every day of what I just said!

lol

Yes, it’s totally inappropriate.

In this day and age no one has to tolerate those types of comments, with or without the eye rolling, in the workplace. However, depending on your job and how important it is to you how you handle it may need some thought. Personally, I am a direct person and would probably let this instance go but not another. If she did it again and we were alone I would say to her that I feel concerned about her attitude and would prefer not to discuss religion at work. If she said anything else I would take it to HR. Practice a comeback line and politely use it if it happens again,

:frowning: What a shame that Christians are treating other fellow Christians in this manner, but such is life.

I would. My personal experience has been that people like that don’t change.

In the meantime, can you change the subject?

"Catholics…

“Nice weather we’re having today”.

"The pope…

"I like that blouse…the colors …

lol

Otherwise, you’d need to make “religion” a topic which would be “off limits”.

You could say that you are both Christians, that in light of your shared belief in Christ that you would like to stay on good terms and agree to disagree on the details.

Actually, it’s a shame, because you have more in common than not. The most important things, you share, and that’s your belief in Christ.

However, best to avoid it, since that attitude is just too strong and look for another position, as you say.

Uh, there is no mention of the Pope in the bible.

Also, the best course of action here is to just keep your mouth shut. If she makes any “anti-catholic” comments, continue to keep your mouth shut.

She’s trying to pick a fight; don’t give in to her. Just let it slide.

This is extremely inappropriate work place behavior. Probably illegal since your superior is acting condescending toward you. I suggest you talk to your boss and ask that she refrain from discussing religion in the workplace. If that doesn’t work or go well talk to your HR department.

It"s a shame how most Catholics here prefer the get even with the boss by reporting her to human services rather than to evangelize her as Randy Carson stated early on this thread. So much to learn, so little time.

I also say to you that you are [l]Peter, and upon this [m]rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth [n]shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth [o]shall have been loosed in heaven.”

-Matt 16:18-19

15 So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus *said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you [f]love Me more than these?” He *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I [g]love You.” He *said to him, “Tend My lambs.” 16 He *said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you [h]love Me?” He *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I *love You.” He *said to him, “Shepherd My sheep.” 17 He *said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you [j]love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you [k]love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I [l]love You.” Jesus *said to him, “Tend My sheep.

-John 21:15-17

We all know the words POPE aren’t there, but a leader of the church universal certainly is.*

Isn’t that over-reacting a bit?

WHAT A GREAT RESPONSE!

We should keep this in mind! Good job.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.