Ohio governor rejects 'heartbeat' abortion bill

Ohio Governor John Kasich has vetoed the so-called “heartbeat” abortion bill that would have banned most abortions as early as six weeks into pregnancy.

The bill caused an outcry and Mr Kasich said it could be unconstitutional.
But he did sign a 20-week abortion ban, which is similar to a restriction already in place in 15 US states.
Mr Kasich called this bill the “best, most legally sound and sustainable approach to protecting the sanctity of human life”.

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38310064?ocid=socialflow_twitter

While I would like this bill to be constitutional, Governor Kasich is right until we get the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v Wade.

If the governor had done nothing, both bills (one banning abortion as soon as a fetal heartbeat could be detected, the other banning abortion at 20 weeks) would have become law.

The 20-week ban is a start, I guess.

I’m happy he signed the 20 week bill.

The courts have rejected measures like these in the past, so I think that its right for Gov. Kasich sign the 20 week ban. It will be much more difficult to overturn.

Get governor kasich a fetal development book.

Banning abortion isn’t unconstitutional, if it was Roe v Wade wouldn’t be able to be overturned and we would need a Constitutional Amendment.

Something tells me kasich was more concerned with the public outcry rather than whether or not it is constitutional or not. For the most part all those folks outraged at this, seem to be content now, even though he did sign something…that alone is HUGE imo.

At least we’re moving in the right direction.

I agree, I live in Ohio and wish Kasich would have signed the Heartbeat bill, but thankful he signed this. When Roe v Wade is overturned, many states will be passing heartbeat bills.

Unfortunately, it is seen as unconstitutional in the eyes of the law. Roe v. Wade set a precedent and this precedent must be followed until the Supreme Court (hopefully) overturns it.

“The State of Ohio will be forced to pay hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to cover the legal fees for the pro-choice activists’ lawyers,” said Mr Kasich, adding that he believed the veto was in the public interest.

Oh no, the state of Ohio might spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a fruitless enterprise! The horror. I’m pretty sure every government road project wastes that much before they even start work.

The state may have lost but I think forcing the other side to fight is generally a good idea. At least it makes them put forth their terrible and evil arguments for a saner generation to judge them properly.

The heartbeat bill would have to be signed and upheld by a state court before it could even get to the Supreme Court in the first place.

The relevant ruling here is Planned Parenthood v Casey, it failed to overturn Roe but did open the door for these more modest 20 week restrictions.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

It seems then the 20-week rule is becoming the standard. If everyone thinks it is acceptable, it might make overturning Roe vs Wade that much tougher. Or a moot point.

About 99% of abortions are performed before 20 wks anyway. Nearly 92% are performed in the first 13 wks. 7% between 14 wks and 20 wks. Only about 1% are performed after 20 wks.

cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/data_stat

I don’t see anything about heartbeats in the Constitution.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.