Ohio House approves anti-abortion bills

Ohio House approves anti-abortion bills
Majority Republicans in the House and Senate approved sweeping restrictions on abortion rights today, including a far-reaching ban that those on both sides of the debate say would essentially outlaw all abortions. House Bill 125 the so-called heartbeat bill would prohibit abortions after a fetal heartbeat can be medically detected, generally six to seven weeks into pregnancy and before many women realize they are pregnant.
The House approved the bill largely along party lines by a vote of 54 to 43, sending it to the Senate.
“For every battle weary pro-lifer who didn’t see how children were going to be protected in our lifetime, come see what God is doing in Ohio,” said Janet Folger Porter, former legislative director of Ohio Right to Life who led the push for the legislation.
The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Lynn Wachtmann, R-Napoleon, said the bill would establish that life begins when a beating heart can be heard and dismissed widespread speculation that the legislation will be struck down as unconstitutional.

That’s wrong. The science clearly shows that life begins at conception. Direct abortion should be illegal period since it deliberately takes the life of an innocent human being that exists from the moment of conception.

Baby steps. This law, even though still flawed, is a very good thing.

Quote.

I am very encouraged by this!!! It is DEFINITELY a baby step in the right direction!! :thumbsup:

There is no such thing as a right to an abortion. The baby’s right to life supersedes his or her mother’s alleged right to kill him or her. And while this legislation is a step in the right direction, an abortion the day after conception and an abortion at birth do the EXACT SAME THING!! Drawing a line earlier in the pregnancy is a half-measure, but we’ll take it, because that is progress, especially in this culture of death.

Wooohooo!!! :extrahappy: :extrahappy: :extrahappy: :extrahappy:

This has been happening a lot lately! I think America is on it’s way to banning abortion! :smiley:

[SIGN]Save the unborn![/SIGN]

What party was in the majority that passed the bill? The Republican party? Well. So much for the Democrat catholics who say that the GOP cynically uses the pro-life movement to merely get votes. And so much for the catholic 3rd party voters who insist that if the GOP was really pro-life, abortion would be outlawed by now.

Ishii

If this gets through the State Senate and the gov. signs it in to law, regardless of court challenges and the final outcome this will be the first time the Repubs. have done anything to seal the deal for me anyway. Maybe once I can be a little happy about the State that takes so much of my money and tell everybody that at least I am not from Michigan.

But there is still a couple big ifs here. We’ll see!:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.