Ohio Man Pleads Guilty to Plotting ISIS-Inspired Attack During President's Address to Congress

A 22-year-old Ohio man who plotted to attack the U.S. Capitol during the president’s State of the Union address pleaded guilty today to attempting to kill government employees, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence, and attempting to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization.

Christopher Lee Cornell, of Green Township, Ohio, attempted to travel to Washington, D.C. and planned to carry out the attack during President Obama’s address to Congress on Jan., 20, 2015, according to a plea agreement cited in a U.S. Department of Justice statement.

He said his planned attack was an attempt to provide support and resources to ISIS, the Justice Department statement said. He conducted online research about weapons, bomb construction, the U.S. Capitol and other potential targets in the Washington, D.C., area, according to the plea agreement cited by the Justice Department.

Cornell allegedly planned to detonate pipe bombs at the Capitol and open fire on any employees and officials fleeing after the explosions, according to government documents at the time of his arrest several days before the 2015 State of the Union address.

abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-man-pleads-guilty-plotting-isis-inspired-attack/story?id=41050478

Terrible, but thank God they caught him in time!

Agreed! :thumbsup: May God bless you all! :slight_smile:

Yes, thank you, God…

I wonder if this is going to turn out to be another case of the FBI creating a “terrorist” out of thin air, giving him money and weapons, telling him exactly what to say and do, and then heroically busting him just in the nick of time? That would be my guess, but only time will tell. Anyway, I’m glad no one got hurt.

The FBI had done this before?

Whenever I see the State of the Union it strikes me how stupid it is to have the entire government all sitting in the same room.
A successful attack would need inside help (not impossible) but it could take out the Pres, VP, both Houses of Congress and the Supreme Court.

This guy was busted fairly close to my hometown, from what I read about his story, I doubt he was a big threat, the main thing, he had no money, so Im still not sure how he was going to purchase those weapons, plus he didnt even have a way to get to Washington DC, and I highly doubt he would have been able to get close enough to do any damage.

I think this kid was just highly impressionable online.

Yeah, actually they’ve done it to dozens of young men.

theintercept.com/2015/03/16/howthefbicreatedaterrorist/

hrw.org/news/2014/07/21/us-terrorism-prosecutions-often-illusion

My favorite example is Peyton Pruitt, who has an intellectual disability, a developmental condition which used to be referred to as mental retardation, and who cannot even tie his shoes. The FBI psychologically dominated him and then set him up and pushed him into becoming a “terrorist,” though thankfully the feds eventually gave up on their indictment because of public mockery and scorn.

al.com/news/anniston-gadsden/index.ssf/2015/12/witness_teen_with_51_iq_contac.html

But yes, they’ve manufactured dozens of others in exactly the same way. As far as this Ohio man is concerned, the article’s description of the FBI informant makes me suspicious, because that sounds similar to the methodology used in all the other cases. I’m only speculating though; for all I know this guy could be the real deal. :shrug: Only time will tell, I guess.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.