Ohio St. Vincent DePaul food kitchen upset about Paul Ryan photo op

I’m not sure if this belongs in world news or catholic news, since this involves both.

If you click the link, you see Paul Ryan, wearing an apron while washing a pot at a St. Vincent de Paul food kitchen in Youngstown Ohio. Here’s the problems with that:

Now, the Republican vice presidential candidate is in hot water over the impromptu campaign “photo op.” The director of the Mahoning County, Ohio, St. Vincent de Paul Society says he was not contacted and that the food kitchen does not serve up candidates.
“We’re a faith-based organization: We are apolotical because the majority of our food is from private donations,” Brian Antol told The Washington Post. “It’s strictly in our bylaws not to do it. They showed up there and they did not have permission. They got one of the volunteers to open up the doors.
“The photo op they did wasn’t even accurate. He did nothing. He just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall.”

So, he didn’t have official permission to do this, and he wasn’t actually helping out at the soup kitchen.

hilarious!:smiley:

Guess he had more important places to go!

no link

washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/15/charity-president-unhappy-about-paul-ryan-soup-kitchen-photo-op/

Here’s a Washington Post story. Probably should be in World News though.

How is this not helping? Think the blonde woman is his wife Jenna

http://distilleryimage2.instagram.com/cf0c51ca155511e2b9d422000a1fa429_7.jpg

battlegroundwatch.com/2012/10/13/paul-ryan-washes-pots-at-catholic-soup-kitchen-in-youngstown-ohio

Read the article Abysinia.

The pots and other utensils Ryan was washing had already been cleaned.

Top of the article says

Update: Antal, who describes himself as an independent, has voted in Democratic primaries for the past 17 years

I think the charity will benefit from donations with the publicity

sorry Abyssinia , this video clearly shows there were no dirty dishes . pure photo op                 [youtube.com/watch?v=M2WVJNxOpvY](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2WVJNxOpvY)

Has somebody as the charity said so?

Is it possible to stop the spin for one microsecond abyssinia? Just once?

Just because photos were taken, as I bet they are everywhere Paul Ryan goes publicly, does not mean those dishes did not need to be washed, they were in the sink

Yes, according to what I heard on CNN news.

I see dishes in a sink, Paul Ryan picking up a pad and cleaning them. Does it seriously matter where they were clean or not? :shrug:

Here’s another link from ABC

abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/no-soup-for-ryan-photo-op-at-kitchen-called-into-question/

That’s not the whole story and it does matter if he was seriously trying to help of simply “look like he is helping.”

He had no permission to come and simply stayed for a photo op.

By photo op you make it sound as if Paul Ryan did not have good intentions by being there. Paul Ryan was not turned away, he was allowed in by the volunteers probably and I doubt this was not planned in advance

It’s a political photo-op: politicians do this sort of thing. Most appropriate for such “compassionate conservatives” as Ryan and Romney. The larger issue is what ringil mentions.

Well I hope to see you say when something is posted about Obama having a photo op

I hope to see your comments when something is posted about Obama having a photo op

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.