OK, another question in relation to Tithing

You guys did such a great job on the Tithing issue. Here is another one. One of my Evangelical Friends, one who always says no exception to the rule you MUST Tithe 10%. He and his wife are going to Sri Lanka next month on behalf of his Non-Denominational Church and help rebuild houses. They are NOT going to go there preaching their Religion, just rebuilding houses. They need 5K to be raised to cover the expenses of going.

My question, should I give him something for this. If anything he has been there for me in a lot of situations. When my mother came down with Cancer. He can be very in your face about his Religious views which drives me up a wall. For instance, a sip of beer to him you are going to HELL!! So, since he is one of my long time friends should I make a small donation. Then again I ask myself, if I went over there through my Parish would he donate anything. He doesn’t really say too much to me because we are good friends but I know he is pretty Anti-Catholic. I always joke with him that his 2 kids might grow up and marry a Catholic and he says “He won’t let that happen”

So what would you do people?? HELP???

as you are friends it would be perfectly fine for you to give him (or his wife) some money and tell them to use it for things their kids will need living in that country - new clothes, preventive medications, their schooling etc. and to give your good wishes and assurances of prayer for their safety.

How much were you thinking of giving him? Has he asked? If he’s anti-Catholic, his Church is anti-Catholic and will therefore be offering an anti-Gospel (you can be sure he will be spreading the Word while he builds those houses). So take that $100 you were going to give him and write a check to your parish – if it’s mission work or housing you want to support, write it to the Archdiocese, earmarked for that. :slight_smile:

Then, if he does ask you to contribute, tell him honestly that you’ve just tapped yourself out by giving to a similar ministry in your own Church.

Mercy,

He never did ask for a set amount. They are only going over there for 2 weeks. I was thinking about $50.00. I have met some others from his Church and even his Pastor. He conned me into playing softball on his Church team. (Which I’m sure was a Ploy to get me to try and convert. NOT GONNA HAPPEN) My Parish does not play softball. Actually, I have found that many of them seem to be just fine with Catholicism. Even his Pastor. We have talked somewhat and they are more concerned about me having a relationship with God then worrying about me being Catholic. Noone else has ever pressured me into coming to Church their. They know I’m a devout Catholic. Actually my frined is probably more intolerent than most people there.

[quote=uofl19]Mercy,

He never did ask for a set amount. They are only going over there for 2 weeks. I was thinking about $50.00. I have met some others from his Church and even his Pastor. He conned me into playing softball on his Church team. (Which I’m sure was a Ploy to get me to try and convert. NOT GONNA HAPPEN) My Parish does not play softball. Actually, I have found that many of them seem to be just fine with Catholicism. Even his Pastor. We have talked somewhat and they are more concerned about me having a relationship with God then worrying about me being Catholic. Noone else has ever pressured me into coming to Church their. They know I’m a devout Catholic. Actually my frined is probably more intolerent than most people there.
[/quote]

That puts a different color on the matter. Then perhaps your gift would represent a sign of Christian fellowship. Maybe he’ll return the favor when you have an important endeavor requiring financial support!

Hey! Congratulations on being the kind of person in whom your Evangelical friends recognize that you actually have a relationship with Christ. Lots of 'em won’t give a Catholic even that much credit!

Mercy,

Thank you very much!! Yes, sometimes we may give some of these Evangelical Churches more grief then they deserve. I was very skeptical at 1st playing ball with these guys. I was thinking Oh Boy!! Me and a bunch of “Bible Thumpers” Will they try and Evangelize me?? They really haven’t. I’m sure my friend would love to see me leave the Church but I think he even realizes now that it’s not gonna happen.

Actually, I went to a Southern Baptist School on a Baseball Scholarship and I have found that those people the hardcore Baptists were MUCH MUCH worse than these particular people at the Evenagelical “Non_Denominational” Church.

UoFL,

Well, Paul does say that if your enemy is hungry give him food, and if he is thirsty give him drink, and in so doing you will heap burning coals of fire on his head. How much more so for your friend, especially if he wouldn’t do the same for you? I think it shows that you are a better person than he is.

Since he is going to build houses and not to preach, you don’t have to worry about being an accessory to spreading heresies. So that’s not an issue. I would say, I think giving him some money has several positive sides and I don’t see any negatives.

• Liberian

Thank you Liberian,

That was my whole thought process. If this was a mission trip out there to spread their “Word” I would probably decline. However, since it is for rebuilding houses. I feel a $50.00 donation is just fine. Now I’m sure they will probably go over there and do some type of evangelization but that is not the sole purpose of this trip.

You know, if they say “Good Works” do nothing as for salvation then why in the World would any Protestant do something like that then??
That’s about as “Good of Works” that you can do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.