Ok, I have a problem

Hi Everyone. I am currently in the process of discerning a vocation to the Missionaries of Charity Brothers. I am almost positive this is my calling. However, today I broke down and masturbated. My sister caught me doing it. I am humiliated and embarrassed. I have been doing good at not doing this. Should I still discern my vocation to the Missionaries of Charity Brothers? How do I overcome great guilt and shame to readily purse my vocation again?

Of course still discern your vocation! Do not let a moment of weakness detour you. I’m sure you know where to start overcoming great guilt and shame (the confessional). Just go to confession about it, and keep trying to resist those urges (it will get easier the longer you work at it). I’m sure getting caught is very embarrassing, but then that could be one of those experiences that turns you into a very compassionate person.

Maybe confess to a priest, not a bunch of strangers on a bulletin board?:confused:

It's not a sign of maturity to do so, you should have a spiritual director guiding you.

[quote="brycehecht, post:1, topic:330906"]
Hi Everyone. I am currently in the process of discerning a vocation to the Missionaries of Charity Brothers. I am almost positive this is my calling. However, today I broke down and masturbated. My sister caught me doing it. I am humiliated and embarrassed. I have been doing good at not doing this. Should I still discern my vocation to the Missionaries of Charity Brothers? How do I overcome great guilt and shame to readily purse my vocation again?

[/quote]

First, confession. :signofcross:

Secondly, one never stops discerning their vocation! It is an ever-moving target in one's life, and life's events (both large and small, good and bad) figure in to your discernment. :yup:

(On a rhetorical side-note)
Personally, I think I'm more disturbed by the idea of someone catching one doing such a thing.:eek: Surely your place of residence has doors?! :D

[quote="brycehecht, post:1, topic:330906"]

[/quote]

Cure for overcoming guilt and shame=confession :thumbsup:
I hope that you have a good spiritual adviser who can help you work through and overcome this temptation...

I had alot of similar problems. And often I still struggle with impurity. I will pray for you. Remember, God has a plan for you don't let guilt stop you from following God's plan. Be sure to go to confession ASAP.

Godbless:gopray:

Confess, learn from the mistake, move on and please still discern. St Augustine had issues and look where he ended up.

Confess! and keep on confessing! Always come back to the father when we have fallen

since you are considering the priesthood, you are in evil's target...they will throw ANYTHING to keep you from being ordained

And look around the website- there are lots of articles on purity & chastity

God Bless!

I think reading the Book of Job is very encouraging.

The devil will throw everything at us- temptation, despair, self-righteousness, sins of the flesh, mind and spirit whenever we want to be close to God. Sometimes, we feel so bad about ourselves that we stop going to church altogether. Do not despair. When he reminds you of your past, remind him of his future. Go to confession and spend time with God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.