Ok to attend Protestant Bible study in order to spread Catholic teaching?

Dear Apologist,

I listen to CA, read books written by your apologists, and I donate to CA too.
I really would like to attend a Protestant Bible Study to charitably spread and defend our Catholic Faith. I’m not trying to stir the pot but as I hear so many friends talking about these groups, and honestly seeking a relationship with Jesus, it’s just glaring that any such relationship without the Sacraments is incomplete.

So. Stay home or Go?

I’m not Jimmy Akin or Tim Staples but I’m willing to put myself out there. And I am an active member of my Parish.

I don’t think it is a good idea or good manners. While there’s nothing inherently wrong with different Christians coming together to discuss what they have in common or even where they disagree, this situation does not sound like one of those occasions. Rather it sounds like its like-minded individuals coming together to study and pray based on their own faith community. Would Catholics appreciate if a Protestant came to their Bible Study group and consistently inserted non-Catholic interpretations and beliefs?

It sounds like you have the best of intentions and good will but I encourage you to think about how you would feel if the situation was reversed…

As I said, if they know you are a Catholic and will be speaking from that perspective within the group then it’s probably OK but we should avoid anything that appears like we’re trying to be sneaky or trying to “infiltrate” other Christian groups.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.