ok what is this?

A room full of Christians and Muslims and Druze singing in praise for Lord Jesus, using musical instruments. All this is fine till now…nice hymns, beautiful prayers, and nice music and the guy playing on guittar and singing ( called Ali) has a beautiful, soft voice…so far so good…but what if some of them, if not all, are speaking in a strange language? i was told later it’s speaking in tongues.

Wasn’t speaking in tongue something peculiar to the apostles? and what is the Church teachings about it? any feedback is appreciated.

From what I understand, you must have someone present to interprate what is being said when people speak in tongues. Demons have entered into people and used profanity.

i was told that sometimes God reveals the meaning thru the interpretation of someone and other times they just don’t know what they’re saying…but all of them look very “into” it and happy…i wonder what does the Church teach about all this?

sorry Chris i thought you were Catholic…did you ever encounter this?

[quote=http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03588e.htm]4) The gift of tongues and (5) the interpretation of tongues (collectively known as glossolalia) are described at length in I Cor., xiv. In what did glossolalia exactly consist? [LIST]
*]It was speaking, opposed to being silent (1 Corinthians 14:28), yet
*]not always in a foreign tongue. On the day of Pentecost the Apostles did indeed speak the various languages of their hearers, but the still unbaptized Gentiles in the house of Cornelius “speaking with tongues, and magnifying God” (Acts 10:46) and the twelve newly baptized Ephesians speaking with tongues and prophesying (Acts 19:6) had no reason for using any strange tongue. Again, instead of the expression “speaking with tongues” Paul uses the alternative phrases, “speaking in a tongue”, “by a tongue”, “with a tongue” (1 Corinthians 14:2, 4, 13, 14, 27). The object of the gift was not to convey ideas to listeners, but to speak to God in prayer (ibid., 2, 4), an object for which a foreign language is unnecessary. Lastly – and this argument seems conclusive – Paul compares glossolalia, as regards its effect, with talking in an unknown language; it is, therefore, not itself an unknown language (ibid., 11).
*]It was an articulate language, for the speaker prays, sings, gives thanks (ibid., 14-17).
*]The speaker was in a kind of trance – “If I pray in a tongue, my spirit pneuma] prayeth, but my understanding nous, mens] is without fruit” (ibid., 14).
*]on unbelievers glossolalia made the impression of the marvellous; perhaps it recalled to their mind the religious ravings of hierophants: “Wherefore (i.e. because unintelligible) tongues are for a sign, not to believers, but to unbelievers. If . . . all speak with tongues, and there come in unlearned persons or infidels, will they not say that you are mad?” (1 Corinthians 14:22, 23).
*]The gift of tongues is inferior to that of prophecy: “Greater is he that prophesieth, than he that speaketh with tongues: unless perhaps he interpret, that the church may receive edification” (ibid., 5).
*]The charisma of interpretation is, then, the necessary complement of glossolalia; when interpretation is not forthcoming, the speaker with tongues shall hold his peace (ibid., 13, 27, 28). Interpretation is the work either of the speaker himself or of another (ibid., 27). It takes the form of an intelligible address; the explanation was to follow the speech with tongues as regularly as the discerning of spirits succeeded prophecy (1 Corinthians 14:28, 29).[/LIST] Among the Fathers it is sententia communissima that the speaking with tongues was a speaking in foreign languages. Their interpretation is based upon the promise in Mark, xvi, 1, “They shall speak with new tongues”, and on its final fulfilment in the gift of tongues to the apostles (Acts 2:4). A new tongue, however, is not necessarily a foreign language, and a gift which had a special use on the day of Pentecost appears purposeless in meetings of people of one language. There are, besides, textual objections to the common opinion, although, it must be owned, not quite convincing [see the second point above]. Many explanations of this obscure charisma are proposed, but not one of them is free from objection. It may indeed be that there is some truth in all of them. St. Paul speaks of “kinds of tongues”, which may imply that glossolalia manifested itself in many forms: e.g. in the form of foreign languages when required by circumstances, as with the Apostles; as a new language – “a kind of speech distinctive of the spiritual life and distinguished from common speech, which to the exuberant feeling of the new faith appeared unsuitable for intercourse with God” (Weizsacker); or as the manifestation of the unspeakable groanings of the Spirit, asking for us, and causing us to cry, “Abba, Father” (Romans 8:15, 26).
[/quote]

HTH

Thank You Syele…i was skeptic about all this issue ( obviously since i saw this for the first time)…but , if i understood well, what they are doing is not against Church teachings? bit confusing sorry :o

I had someone tell me of a story where a man spoke in tongues in Japanese. The man had no exposure to that language and began speaking in it without any logical physical reason. A Japanese man was at that church and was asked what the man had been saying. The Japanese man replied that he wouldn’t translate it, since the utterances were so foul and disgusting. We know God wouldn’t make a person speak profanity in any language. This is just demons copying God’s wonders. Like when the Eqyptian magicians imitated the wonders God worked through Moses in Exodus.

I have some experience of Baptists speaking in tongues. I was hugely sceptical because as I understood it, speaking in tongues meant everyone could understand your words, the version I heard was quite the opposite, unintelligable babbling.

thanks all :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.