Ok, You win!

Ok, You win. Having spent some time on this site, and having done some other reading and thinking. I have decided that the RCC is right about some pretty crucial theological questions.

But I have to admit I am not happy about it. I am not experiencing some of the happy going back home feelings that you reverts have been talking about.

It’s more like fine; I’ll go home :frowning:

Kendy

[quote=Kendy]Ok, You win. Having spent some time on this site, and having done some other reading and thinking. I have decided that the RCC is right about some pretty crucial theological questions.

But I have to admit I am not happy about it. I am not experiencing some of the happy going back home feelings that you reverts have been talking about.

Kendy
[/quote]

That’s awesome, Kendy. We’ll keep you in our prayers.

[quote=Kendy]Ok, You win. Having spent some time on this site, and having done some other reading and thinking. I have decided that the RCC is right about some pretty crucial theological questions.

Kendy
[/quote]

I’m happy to hear about you coming back, but maybe you can shed a little more light for us on why you have mixed emotions.

Judging by your introductory post:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=90138
you were struggling with several issues. Which of those have you not come to grips with?

Again, welcome home and don’t forget, we’re on your side and here for you. :slight_smile:

Kendy
[/quote]

Oh, Kendy. Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger. I felt the same myself. For some, like you and me it is not a pleasant journey. I wouldn’t tell this to you or anyone for that matter except in hopes that it may somehow help. For the first few months after I returned to the Church I cried quite often. I prayed to God and told Him, I’m returning to the Church in obedience to Truth but my heart isn’t in it. It took, maybe a year. After that, I wanted to hug every Cathoic Church I passed and say thank you Lord that I’m home! Can’t you picture that? hee-hee

KK

Dear Mr. Kendy,

What is bothering you about comeing back to the Catholic Church? Is it something we can help you with?

Oh I agree with a lot of what the catholic church teaches but there are also some things that prevent me from believing it’s all it claims to be. If God is calling you to the catholic church Kendy I say go for it and don’t resist. (oh my goodness, a PROTESTANT just said that? :wink: ) If you need to talk I am here… Just PM me… I will support whatever decision you make and help you along that path any way I can! Good traveling! :slight_smile:

im only a revert so i can only imagine how hard it must be to do something as dramatic as change religions! dont worry, you have thousands of people on this site to pray for you and help you with any problems you have. just remember - you heard Him! you heard Him calling you home! the power of htat love is amazing. :thumbsup:

Dear Kendy,

You may not be happy right now, but you are showing extraordinary courage, honesty, and humility. For that I admire you. Keep at it … God will return your love a hundredfold at least.
:slight_smile: :cool: :thumbsup:

~~ the phoenix

[quote=Fidelis]I’m happy to hear about you coming back, but maybe you can shed a little more light for us on why you have mixed emotions.

Judging by your introductory post:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=90138
you were struggling with several issues. Which of those have you not come to grips with?

Again, welcome home and don’t forget, we’re on your side and here for you. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Well, there were a couple issues. I had been struggling with communion for quite some time. It’s why I visited the website to begin with. I had read something by a second century father on it and I thought if anyone would know, it would be him sincde he was writing just 70 years after Christ’s death. And then on December 23, I was sitting outside my old parish at 10p.m. and the Holy Spirit revealed something to me about transubstiantiation that made me realize that it was extremely logical.

Another is authority. A few weeks ago, I was involved in a discussion about divorce with my very conservative housegroup, and all of them were inclined toward a more lenient view of divorce, probably because all of them had divorced family members. But I was so disappointed that my very conservative, biblical church members were willing to ignore Jesus’s very clear teaching about divorce. And don’t say that that’s the problem with sola scriptura. It’s a good time! I am not in the mood!

I also realize that despite the fact that evangelicals believe divoce is wrong, many churches just remarry people so the teaching goes in one ear and out of the other.

I also learned that all Christian churches rejected contraception as the fathers have taught for centuries. But in 1930, the Anglican church caved, and then every other Christian denomination caved to social pressure except the catholic church. While I am not entirely convinced of the wisdom of this position, I am impressed by the church’s tenacity in the face of opposition.

Redbandito did a pretty good job killing “once saved always saved” and I have to admit now the parable of the sower actually makes sense now. I had wondered in the pass how the seed that took root eventually got destroyed. It didn’t make sense.

I had also always wondered why my church doesn’t offer confession. Once I did something pretty serious and I spent all morning confessing to God but I could feel the weight of my sin on my back. Eventually, I went to my pastor and confessed it. He said, in the name of Jesus, your sins are forgiven, and at that very moment, I actually felt the weight I had been carrying around lifted. After that, I started thinking, we should have confession. I asked God how come when I confessed, it didn’t work, but I never got an answer.

So, why am I ambivalent. First, I know it’s petty but I don’t like catholic services.

Second, I love my church. I have never been around a group of people who are more committed to serving God and loving each other. The Hyde park Vineyard really exemplifies faith without works is dead. Anyone who doesn’t take their faith seriously would just uncomfortable being there. When I lost my job, the church came together and paid my rent. I would have never even thought of asking my catholic parish for that kind of help. Everything in my church is done with the utmost commitment to God. Our church secretary treats her job like a mission. She, like the majority of the people there, just exude with God’s love. How many homeless people attend your church? Hyde Park Vineyard takes, the poor you will have with you seriously. We not only invite them but are ministering to them. We have gotten them jobs, we are currently helping one woman get back to school. We have members all over the world working in orphanages, building schools for street children in Thailand, people risking their lives in Islamic countries to bring the gospel to muslims.

So, I have to leave that to go back to what I remember as just a bunch of lukewarm, 1 hr on Sunday only Christians.

I love my pastor! I think he would priests a run for their money. How am I going to tell him this?

Kendy

Kendy, I think I may understand a bit where you’re coming from. It’s rather complicated, but basically I “fought” God off-and-on over returning to the Catholic Church for almost six years. (Didn’t Jacob wrestle with the Lord once? :slight_smile: ) But once I surrendered, it got much easier! :wink:

Now, I love His Church more and more every day! And I’m SO thankful to be back!!!

Just my little 'ole two cents! :thumbsup:

[quote=Singinbeauty]Oh I agree with a lot of what the catholic church teaches but there are also some things that prevent me from believing it’s all it claims to be. If God is calling you to the catholic church Kendy I say go for it and don’t resist. (oh my goodness, a PROTESTANT just said that? :wink: ) If you need to talk I am here… Just PM me… I will support whatever decision you make and help you along that path any way I can! Good traveling! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thank You:(

Kendy,

If the Catholic Church does indeed posess the fullness of truth (which we believe, and you seem to be coming to believe), then eventually you will come to take joy in that truth, in its holiness and its beauty.

Your determination to follow the truth as you comprehend it, even to your own discomfort, is admirable. For what it is worth, we Catholics can assure you that you are not on a fool’s errand, but are on the path to the Church of Pentecost, the Church founded by Christ and guided by Him until the end of time.

Growing up we had a huge brass bell hanging on our back porch. Whenever we heard that bell, we knew that it was time to go home. Hearing that darned old bell wasn’t always music to our ears as we made our way through the neighborhood towards it’s loud and sometimes awful tones. It always seemed to ring at the wrong time.

However, looking back I can not think of one dinner that I would have chosen to miss. My little tummy was always filled and today I would give anything to sit around that big old table with all my siblings again!

Don’t ignore the bell. . .I know the pit it’s ring makes in the stomach, but going home is never the wrong choice.

[quote=Kendy]Well, there were a couple issues. I had been struggling with communion for quite some time. It’s why I visited the website to begin with. I had read something by a second century father on it and I thought if anyone would know, it would be him sincde he was writing just 70 years after Christ’s death. And then on December 23, I was sitting outside my old parish at 10p.m. and the Holy Spirit revealed something to me about transubstiantiation that made me realize that it was extremely logical.

Another is authority. A few weeks ago, I was involved in a discussion about divorce with my very conservative housegroup, and all of them were inclined toward a more lenient view of divorce, probably because all of them had divorced family members. But I was so disappointed that my very conservative, biblical church members were willing to ignore Jesus’s very clear teaching about divorce. And don’t say that that’s the problem with sola scriptura. It’s a good time! I am not in the mood!

I also realize that despite the fact that evangelicals believe divoce is wrong, many churches just remarry people so the teaching goes in one ear and out of the other.

I also learned that all Christian churches rejected contraception as the fathers have taught for centuries. But in 1930, the Anglican church caved, and then every other Christian denomination caved to social pressure except the catholic church. While I am not entirely convinced of the wisdom of this position, I am impressed by the church’s tenacity in the face of opposition.

Redbandito did a pretty good job killing “once saved always saved” and I have to admit now the parable of the sower actually makes sense now. I had wondered in the pass how the seed that took root eventually got destroyed. It didn’t make sense.

I had also always wondered why my church doesn’t offer confession. Once I did something pretty serious and I spent all morning confessing to God but I could feel the weight of my sin on my back. Eventually, I went to my pastor and confessed it. He said, in the name of Jesus, your sins are forgiven, and at that very moment, I actually felt the weight I had been carrying around lifted. After that, I started thinking, we should have confession. I asked God how come when I confessed, it didn’t work, but I never got an answer.

So, why am I ambivalent. First, I know it’s petty but I don’t like catholic services.

Second, I love my church. I have never been around a group of people who are more committed to serving God and loving each other. The Hyde park Vineyard really exemplifies faith without works is dead. Anyone who doesn’t take their faith seriously would just uncomfortable being there. When I lost my job, the church came together and paid my rent. I would have never even thought of asking my catholic parish for that kind of help. Everything in my church is done with the utmost commitment to God. Our church secretary treats her job like a mission. She, like the majority of the people there, just exude with God’s love. How many homeless people attend your church? Hyde Park Vineyard takes, the poor you will have with you seriously. We not only invite them but are ministering to them. We have gotten them jobs, we are currently helping one woman get back to school. We have members all over the world working in orphanages, building schools for street children in Thailand, people risking their lives in Islamic countries to bring the gospel to muslims.

So, I have to leave that to go back to what I remember as just a bunch of lukewarm, 1 hr on Sunday only Christians.

I love my pastor! I think he would priests a run for their money. How am I going to tell him this?

Kendy
[/quote]

Awesome Kendy! God Bless you! Don’t worry, what you are experinceing is normal and you will eventullay come to a point where you are VERY EXCITED. I speak from personal experince as a convert.

Remember, Catholic Mass is not a service. It is Mass. I highly suggest getting a copy of Scott Hahn’s book, “the Lambs Supper. The Mass as Heaven on Earth.” It will really open your eyes to the true beuaty of the Mass and hopefully you will get energized to participate in the Mass (I REALLY look forwad to going to Mass every week. In fact, I am even thinking about becoming an acolyte). So, hang in there, a lot of wonderful stuff awaits you. In the words of John Paul II “be not afraid…” :thumbsup:

Kendy,

Your post shows that our Church needs work.
If the Church needs to wake up and heed the call to help the poor, it will be because of people like you.

One reason we have wonderful websites like this one is because former protestants took what they learned from their protestant backgrounds and brought those gifts with them into the Church.

The main reason I reverted back to my faith is due to very intelligent and brave protestant scholars who convinced me of the truth of catholicism when they chronicled their own conversion.

There may be no such place as a “perfect church” while we’re here on earth…all we can do is our best to bring our gifts to the one we’re in.

I am going to publicly contribute to this thread now. Decisions take time. I am going to tell on myself AND IT AINT PRETTY.
I have only been two things:
I have been a Southern Baptist as a kid and teenager.
I have belonged to a United Methodist church for…12 years.
I call myself an independent Christian because the monicker Methodist does not describe me but let me get to the point…and I have one… :stuck_out_tongue:
In my head, through my searches and examinations, I have probably seriously considered…everybody. I am telling you Kendy…I APPRECIATE SOMEONE ON A SEARCH :slight_smile:
My Dad told me one time to relax and not rush into things. I applaud your search and wish the best…but it is ok to take the time to look at all options…I suspect, and this will not carry any weight around here I understand, you will be a better whatever you decide to be because of it.
God Bless
BrianH

Well, I appreciate your comments. :). Prayer. I should spend less time on the net, and more in prayer. I go back to work tomorrow, which might help reduce my internet usage!

Kendy

[quote=BrianH]I am going to publicly contribute to this thread now. Decisions take time. I am going to tell on myself AND IT AINT PRETTY.
I have only been two things:
I have been a Southern Baptist as a kid and teenager.
I have belonged to a United Methodist church for…12 years.
I call myself an independent Christian because the monicker Methodist does not describe me but let me get to the point…and I have one… :stuck_out_tongue:
In my head, through my searches and examinations, I have probably seriously considered…everybody. I am telling you Kendy…I APPRECIATE SOMEONE ON A SEARCH :slight_smile:
My Dad told me one time to relax and not rush into things. I applaud your search and wish the best…but it is ok to take the time to look at all options…I suspect, and this will not carry any weight around here I understand, you will be a better whatever you decide to be because of it.
God Bless
BrianH
[/quote]

Kendy
[/quote]

Kendy,

I found the truth in the last place I looked and the last place I expected to find it, the Catholic Church, His visible body on earth. The Holy Spirit had to drag me back across the TIber kicking and screaming with tears in my eyes. But, if you love Jesus with ALL your heart you will follow Him home, to the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church isn’t as fun with games and youth groups and parties and wonderfull motivational speakers like the Baptist sect I left. The Catholic Church is however as close to God as you can get on earth, you even become one with Him in the Eucharist. No Protestant sect can come close to this. Catholic theology is correct, Protestant theology is, well, whatever someone believes that day. Catholic Dogma is timeless, Protestant dogma is fluid.

God promised a great reward is you followed Him in Faith to the end. He never promised the journey would be a cake walk. Protestant theology is fun and games. Catholic Theology is sometimes difficult, just like Christ promised us.

Try to help the Church by bringing the good things with you and leave the heresy behind. Help your new parish with social events, etc… The Catholic Church is about Christ, not fun and games or health and wealth. We can learn from the Protestants though to have more activities based on Christ outside the mass, even if they are fun!:wink:

Welcome home!

We both found our way out of the Protestant opinions - PRAISE GOD!:dancing:

A group that you might be interested in is the Coming Home Network. You’ll find there many who are on the road to Rome.

chnetwork.org/

May God be with you in this unsettling time.

-JohnPaul

Can I still go to prostestant church if I don’t receive communion? And go to mass later that day?

Kendy

P.S. Would I have to stop going to Christian concerts? As far as I can tell you guys don’t put on any. How is it that there are not more (any?) catholics producing contemporary music praising God? :mad:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.