Okay! Now you're Catholic

You have converted from some other faith tradition, maybe one not Christian, to Catholicism. What have your experiences been and how have you dealt with those of your former faith tradition?

What is you relationship with them? Still friends, or have you distanced yourself from them? How do you cope with derogatory statements made about your former faith tradition, one still held by other family members, relatives, or friends?

While I am not fully Catholic yet…I am getting there.

Anywho, I notice I have a few problems.

1. When I was a practicing Methodist, if I didn’t want to goto church, I didn’t and never saw it as a sin. The same goes if I had a soccer game, I did what I wanted and put God on the back-burner. Now, I sometimes find it hard to goto Mass if I am in the mood not to. It is just a leftover behavior from my Protestant days.

2. I could care less who says Methodism, or Protestantism, is wrong as long as they know what they are talking about, not just some ignorant nut out there saying that “Methodists believe in Once Saved Always Saved”…they don’t.

My family does not like my decision but that is their right. However, I do not like it when I explain my reason and they don’t listen or get it…I like to call it Self-Induced Ignorance or selective hearing. Whatever though…Im happy!

DU

p.s. to everyone…I got the internet at home and now I get to stay on for the summer…WOOHOO!!!

I’m debating back and forth with my brother-in-law right now who is a Mormon. I was a member of their church for several months, but I left after I lost faith in Joseph Smith. I’ve posted this elsewhere in the forum (twice, whoops!): forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=56888.

One of my friends, a marginal Muslim, has basically stopped associating with me. It’s sad, but it’s his decision.

Most of the maternal side of my family is excited since they are largely Catholic. However, I think my dad is freaking out inside and my wife remains very skeptical.

My goal is to show them, slowly, but surely, Christ in my life. And to explain their misconceptions when they arise, to the best of my ability.

August, and the RCIA classes, seem very far away right now!

[quote=snowman10]While I am not fully Catholic yet…I am getting there. Anywho, I notice I have a few problems.

1. When I was a practicing Methodist, if I didn’t want to goto church, I didn’t and never saw it as a sin. The same goes if I had a soccer game, I did what I wanted and put God on the back-burner. Now, I sometimes find it hard to goto Mass if I am in the mood not to. It is just a leftover behavior from my Protestant days.
    [/quote]

So, you feel more obligations with Catholicism than being a Methodist?

[quote=snowman10]2. I could care less who says Methodism, or Protestantism, is wrong as long as they know what they are talking about, not just some ignorant nut out there saying that “Methodists believe in Once Saved Always Saved”…they don’t.
[/quote]

Sometimes a question of the attitude of the speaker?

[quote=snowman10]My family does not like my decision but that is their right. However, I do not like it when I explain my reason and they don’t listen or get it…I like to call it Self-Induced Ignorance or selective hearing. Whatever though…Im happy!
[/quote]

Hard for them; hard for you? What do you do to keep it from becoming intolerable?

[quote=snowman10]DU
p.s. to everyone…I got the internet at home and now I get to stay on for the summer…WOOHOO!!!
[/quote]

Ooh, looking forward to a great summer with plenty of CAF?! savone

Well, our’s is a very long painful story, but in a nutshell my wife converted from a fundalmentalist Baptist faith to Catholicism. Her friends bailed and even after 18 years there is still some estraingment with her family. Things are getting better though.

[quote=joe_cuban]I’m debating back and forth with my brother-in-law right now who is a Mormon. I was a member of their church for several months, but I left after I lost faith in Joseph Smith. I’ve posted this elsewhere in the forum (twice, whoops!): forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=56888.
[/quote]

I would find this tough, tough, tough: defending a faith that you’re just coming to know. How do you do it?

[quote=joe_cuban]One of my friends, a marginal Muslim, has basically stopped associating with me. It’s sad, but it’s his decision.
[/quote]

Yes, this sounds sad. Was this because you simply stated your intention to convert, or were there disagreements?

[quote=joe_cuban]Most of the maternal side of my family is excited since they are largely Catholic. However, I think my dad is freaking out inside and my wife remains very skeptical.
My goal is to show them, slowly, but surely, Christ in my life. And to explain their misconceptions when they arise, to the best of my ability.
[/quote]

Sounds wise, mature, and charitable. Hopefully, they will be moved by your doing so.

[quote=joe_cuban]August, and the RCIA classes, seem very far away right now!
[/quote]

Lot’s of caring, supportive, and encouraging folks at CAF. Perhaps, we could help to get you there.

[quote=Wildgraywolf]Well, our’s is a very long painful story, but in a nutshell my wife converted from a fundalmentalist Baptist faith to Catholicism. Her friends bailed and even after 18 years there is still some estraingment with her family. Things are getting better though.
[/quote]

“Very long painful story” - How did you cope? What helped?

Friends bailing and estrangement from family - That’s a signifcant sacrifice. If I understand, you were already Catholic and your wife converted?

Glad to hear the situation is improving - What would you say was the major influence in bringing this about?

Grew up a protestant.
Left for lack of fulfillment.
Was confirmed as a Catholic 8/02.
Spent the past few years delving deeper into my Faith and loving it.
Most of my immediate family don’t talk to me anymore.
DH is supportive (though not a Catholic or anything else really)
DH’s wishes I would just take my Faith and go away.
I have learned how easy it was to be a protestant and how very joyfully difficult it is to live as a Catholic. I would change nothing.

Was born and raised Catholic but left before returning as a devout Catholic. I’ve had difficulties with family and my husband isn’t Catholic and is having difficulty understanding the changes in me and our family as a result.

I keep praying that he’ll convert and resolve our problems. In the meantime, I try to remember my charity.

CARose

I’ve been reading some of the conversion stories from The Coming Home Network (EWTN)website. They’re located at: chnetwork.org/converts.htm. Each is unique, yet they share some common themes. When I feel alone in all this, I read one of them.

[quote=catsrus]Grew up a protestant.
Left for lack of fulfillment.
Was confirmed as a Catholic 8/02.
Spent the past few years delving deeper into my Faith and loving it.
Most of my immediate family don’t talk to me anymore.
DH is supportive (though not a Catholic or anything else really)
DH’s wishes I would just take my Faith and go away.
I have learned how easy it was to be a protestant and how very joyfully difficult it is to live as a Catholic. I would change nothing.
[/quote]

Ditto on most of that, only confirmed in 4/01.
Also, I had basically left the Methodist faith after graduating from HS. Good Christian upbringing, just nothing stuck to me.

20 years later fell in love with the Church, and at first my family was happy for me. We have many Catholic relatives and my husband is Catholic, so no biggie, they were just happy I was going to church anywhere.

Then my Godmother and maternal aunt came into the Church the year after me. She was a devout Methodist, and my mom blamed me for her defection. Now my mom doesn’t mind me telling her about my life, as long as I don’t mention the Church. (Like asking me about my marriage, w/out mentioning my husband) Sisters (all prochoice Republicans) just avoid the subject of God or any religion.

Biggest change was at work. I could no longer stomach much of what went on. Stuck it out for a couple of years, figuring maybe I could be a good influence. Wound up quitting my job and becoming a stay at home mom after 20 years of working as an accountant.

[quote=savone]So, you feel more obligations with Catholicism than being a Methodist?

Sometimes a question of the attitude of the speaker?

Hard for them; hard for you? What do you do to keep it from becoming intolerable?

Ooh, looking forward to a great summer with plenty of CAF?! savone
[/quote]

Yes there are more obligations within Catholicism but the obligations really are towards God and I am happy to fufill them.

A speakers attitude does not concern me. As long as the speaker gets his/her info right and can present it in a clear and logical manner, I will be happy to listen and discuss.

It is harder for myself. It is hard to see my family doing the wrong thing. This may sound harsh but Protestantism is a half-truth, which is just a nice way of saying a half-lie. I don’t believe in relativism so they are in error. No Ifs, ands, or buts about it.

And yes…more time on CAF!

DU

[quote=savone]“Very long painful story” - How did you cope? What helped?

Friends bailing and estrangement from family - That’s a signifcant sacrifice. If I understand, you were already Catholic and your wife converted?

Glad to hear the situation is improving - What would you say was the major influence in bringing this about?
[/quote]

My wife and I knew all that going into it. My paternal grandmother and my mother were both converts to Catholicism. My grandmother a former Baptist and my mother a former Methodist helped out with the coping part. We all knew it wasn’t going to be easy. It was an ugly time.

What moved my wife to convert? That too is long story, but it’s enough to say that what my wife was taught as a child about Catholicism didn’t stand up to reality. My wife has a profound dislike for untruth and those who peddle it. Her family’s treatment of me and how I responded to it helped with her decision as well.

Some of my wife’s family still wanted to have a relationship because after all she is still family and one of them still desires to save my wife from Catholicism, but can’t do that if there is no contact.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.