Old and new covenant stipulations

I was reading Hebrews 8:6-13, and it seems to me that the old covenant with the Jewish people is no more or obsolete and there is a new one. So does that me that the Jewish people are not his chosen anymore and that Christians have taken up that title?

The Church teaches that she is the new Israel, established to encompass all of God’s children. The New Covenant prophecies regarding Israel are fulfilled in and through her-the basic mission of the chosen people was fulfilled as the salvation of man was brought through them to complete fruition with the coming of the Messiah, Jesus Christ. And yet that God continues to have a special place in His heart for the Jews, who also as a people still have a role to play in Christian eschatology. The Old Covenant was never revoked, BTW, just replaced by a new and better one.

so in the readings though it says the old covenant is obsolete, it says “In speaking of a new covenant he treats the first as obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.” What does that mean?

It means that the OC was insufficient to justify and save man, although it was a stepping stone along the way as it served to demonstrate that it, the OC, could not be fulfilled, man could *not *become righteous, by mere external observation of the law even if he were to fulfill it perfectly. The New Covenant is about a change of heart in man, made possible first of all by reconciliation between man and God, accomplished by Jesus’s sacrificial passion and death, and appropriated by us as we accept His offer, by faith, of forgiveness and enter into relationship or communion with Him, formally at baptism, becoming ‘new creations’, His children, as was always meant to be the case for man. Man doesn’t become righteous by obedience to the Law, rather man becomes righteous by communion with God, ‘apart from Whom he can do nothing’ (John 15:5). This fulfills the New Covenant prophecy of Jer 31:33-34:

“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”

More can be read from the catechism on this here:
scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c3a1.htm#II

Go to catholic.com/audio/calendar

Taking from an earlier post of mine now . . . .

Go to July 2nd 2014. Roy Schoeman does a fine job answering the nuances demanded of your question. . . . ,

. . . . .PS. If I recall correctly it is at about the 35 minute mark (but don’t hold me to remembering this please. Just an educated guess) of the audio file.

Hope this helps.

God bless.

Cathoholic

Question from Fox (with bold emphasis mine)

so in the readings though it says the old covenant is obsolete, it says "In speaking of a new covenant he treats the first as obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away." What does that mean?

I think it means that the “earthly sanctuary”, the Temple was about to be destroyed.

And the Temple shortly afterward, WAS destroyed.

HEBREWS 9:1 Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and also an earthly sanctuary.

Short of consulting the catechism, consider reading Romans 11 along with Hebrews.

What the Old Covenant could not accomplish, based on man’s own efforts at trying to obey or fulfill it, the New Covenant does accomplish, based on grace, on God fulfilling it in us as we come into right relationship, into communion, with Him, which is a union or partnership which was always meant to be-as the right order of things in God’s creation-but a union that was severed at the Fall of man in Eden.

We’re here to learn just how much we all need that relationship, how much we need Him. And this was finally made possible by Jesus Christ as He brought forgiveness and reconciliation between man and God when the time was ripe in human history, when man had, with the help of God’s leading, potentially reached a state of spiritual understanding and maturity where he might begin to truly accept and embrace this new light that had entered his world.

Thanks everyone, it is cleared up for me now.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.