Old and New Testimate parallels?

Does anyone know of a list that shows the parallels between the Old & New Testimates from a Catholic point of view?
-Sorry By parallels I mean a list of how the old Testimate fulfills the new.

-Also as a side note, does anyone know of a place where I can find the Catholic Dogmas/Doctrines and their Biblical counterparts? This is for a protestant.

For your last question you might go to: The Scripture Passages Super Categories in the website AskACatholic.com

Keating’s book on Fundamentalism is a good source.

Really there are many sources for this. Many Catholic books, periodicals, and websites on apologetics and Protestantism will list the appropriate scriptural reference that explains our doctrines. Read your catechism more. Read your Holy Bible more.

A. problem with addressing this to some people is that some denominations are using a different Bible (I wonder why? ) which might explain their interpretations. But as a whole, most Protestants don’t know the real answers to how our doctrines are Scripture-based because most Catholics don’t know or don’t tell them. It’s time to teach.

Talk with Catholic converts who used to be Protestant. They might have some good references for you.

On your first topic, look at Scott Hahn’s bible study. The parallels were exciting.

Here’s a good article on the Eucharist being prefigured in the OT:

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=1063

There are too many to list. I jot them down when I come across them in the Bible…

Bind/Loose, Open/Shut, juridical authority of the prime minister

*And I will place on his shoulder the key of the house of David; he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open. (Isaiah 22:22)

I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." (Matthew 16:19)*

Division, Father against Son, etc.

for the son treats the father with contempt,
the daughter rises up against her mother,
the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
a man’s enemies are the men of his own house.
But as for me, I will look to the LORD,
I will wait for the God of my salvation;
my God will hear me

(Micah 7:6-7)

they will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against her mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law." (Luke 12:53)*

Scales falling from the eyes, blindness giving way to sight, rejoicing

*and took hold of his father, and he sprinkled the gall upon his father’s eyes, saying, “Be of good cheer, father.” And when his eyes began to smart he rubbed them, and the white films scaled off from the corners of his eyes. Then he saw his son and embraced him, and he wept and said, "Blessed art thou, O God, and blessed is thy name for ever, and blessed are all thy holy angels. (Tobit 11:11-14)

**And immediately something like scales fell from his eyes and he regained his sight. Then he rose and was baptized, *(Acts 9:18)

Returning a different way

*So he went another way, and did not return by the way that he came to Bethel. (1 Kings 13:10)

**And being warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed to their own country by another way. *(Matthew 2:12)

There are something like 5000 fulfillments in the Bible.

-Tim-

I believe you are referring to typology that is a comparison of what was hidden in the old testament that is paralleled or shown in the new testament.

I would suggest www.hebrewcatholic.org where they have a lecture series on the topic of typology. It is the best I have ever seen and heard. Some of the information is used in seminary training of our priests. There are other lectures also which can be downloaded as mp3’s and printed out. They are fantastic. The questions section is also excellent.

Will this help?

Such a list would probably be about half the length of the Bible itself. :slight_smile:

The key word you’re looking for here is “typology.” A type is a person, thing, or event which, while real in itself, also points to some future person, thing, or event. Israel is a type of the Church, the Old Testament patriarchs are types of Christ, the OT Covenants are types of the New and Eternal Covenant, temple sacrifice was a type of the Mass, the OT priesthood was a type of the ordained priesthood, the manna from Heaven was a type of the Eucharist, the parting of the red sea was a type of Baptism, etc. etc. etc. The Bible is bursting with typology.

So I’d say just google “typology” and you’ll find plenty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.