Old Church Documents

Hi there,

I am searching for old church documents on the church and the primacy of peter. However, every time I bump into a quote from an old document i don’t understand its heading…

Ex. St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures 18:23, AD 350
[The Church] is called Catholic, then, because it extends over the whole world, from end to end of the earth, and because it teaches universally and infallibly each and every doctrine which must come to the knowledge of men, concerning things visible and invisible, heavenly and earthly, and because it brings every race of men into subjection to godliness . . .

What does the 18:23 mean?

and is AD 350 the year it was written or when the author died?

Also, if I google ‘St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical’ (to try to find the entire document) it will show me the books or chapter and i have to pick one… how do I know which one has the quote that I’m looking for?

Thanks!

PS if anyone has good resources out there for finding old church documents or a certain document that might be helpful, please share! ")

The numbers are like the numbering in the Bible - chapter and verse.

Here are some sources for you:

catholicculture.org/culture/library/fathers/

ccel.org/

Lecture XVIII (18), paragraph 23. See here for the lecture online.

The year it was written.

Thanks guys. That was helpful.

May God Almighty bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.