Old-fashioned things you have done

There is a new thread in this section called “Modern things you’ve NEVER done.” I figured I’d start a mirror-image thread about old fashioned things you have done that many people may not have.

I don’t have as much to contribute to get the ball rolling as I’d like. Let’s see, I’ve ridden in a Model-T Ford, I’ve drunk moonshine (not endorsing illegal liquor here!), I’ve cut my family’s Christmas tree out of the woods on my parents’ land, and I’ve attended a Traditional Latin Mass. I guess that will do for now.

Well, I don’t particularly think this is old fashioned at all, but most people I come in contact do:

I milk a cow…and I’ve milked goats…I’ve made butter and cheese (my swiss is awesome!)

I have ridden horses, made a harness and a cart and driven horse drawn carts. I have also milked a cow and made butter.

Pumped water, used a car choke, used hair pins, clips and rollers, swam where you could rent a wool bathing suit (but didn't...thank goodness) knew the junk man, tinker, and fruit cart when they passed by, know the haunts of the coal bin.

I have used a phone with the rotary dial, a friend of mine had one at her home when I was in school, I had to hang up multiple times and try again until I got it right.

I have used a television with the turn knob, that belonged to my grandmother. She also had one of those old radio that used records (the big and the little ones), I also used that.

Let's see:

I've milked cows

Made butter

picked apples and berries ( from trees and bushes, not the grocery store )

pumped water

used outhouses ( real outhouses, not the plastic port-a-john type )

roller skated

got ice cream from the ice cream truck!

I live in the Caribbean so we don’t have apple trees but picking mango and other fruits are so common I never even thought of that as old-fashioned. Same with the ice-cream truck there is still one that comes around here on Sundays and more regularly during school vacation. The snow cone man too.

[quote="trinichiqn, post:7, topic:245192"]
I live in the Caribbean so we don't have apple trees but picking mango and other fruits are so common I never even thought of that as old-fashioned. Same with the ice-cream truck there is still one that comes around here on Sundays and more regularly during school vacation. The snow cone man too.

[/quote]

We haven't had an ice cream truck here in years! But we made snow cones with the kids last weekend! yummy!

I’ve grown all of my food from a garden and I’ve also killed just about all of my own meat.

I’ve killed deer with a traditional bow and once with a blunt instrument.

I’ve set old fashioned traps and actually managed to catch something once or twice.

I’ve castrated cattle, culled chickens, help deliver a calf or two, shoveled horse manure, and done a whole lot of other farm chores. (why on earth do people mythologize farm life?)

Well lets see…

I’ve been to Latin Masses (before English Masses became the norm.)
I’ve roller skated (with a skate key)
I’ve used old fashioned out houses.
I’ve owned and used TVs with dials
I’ve watched TVs with tubes (tubes in addition to the picture tube).
I still have most of my record collection. And I play them sometimes.
I drove a car with an 8 track player.
I did *not *use seat belts. …because the cars didn’t have them.
I’ve used a slide rule.
I’ve used a keypunch machine and paper cards to create computer programs.
I’ve used rotary phones and had a party line.
I’ve popped popcorn over an open flame.
I actually fell off of a hay wagon once (while it was hauling hay.)

:stuck_out_tongue: Seems like most of the old fashioned things I’ve done are old fashioned technology things!

I’ve made my own candles.

I’ve made ice cream with a hand churn.

I’ve used a phone with NO dial (only good for incoming calls these days).

I’ve done school work using a typewriter. :wink:

I’ve made coffee using a cloth filter.

I’ve listed to and still own a “crystal” radio.

I’ve played 78 records on a crank Victrola.

I’ve washed clothes in a river.

I’ve walked to school.

[quote="SMHW, post:10, topic:245192"]
Well lets see...

I've been to Latin Masses (before English Masses became the norm.)
I've roller skated (with a skate key)
I've used old fashioned out houses.
I've owned and used TVs with dials
I've watched TVs with tubes (tubes in addition to the picture tube).
I still have most of my record collection. And I play them sometimes.
I drove a car with an 8 track player.
I did *not *use seat belts. ...because the cars didn't have them.
I've used a slide rule.
I've used a keypunch machine and paper cards to create computer programs.
I've used rotary phones and had a party line.
I've popped popcorn over an open flame.
I actually fell off of a hay wagon once (while it was hauling hay.)

:p Seems like most of the old fashioned things I've done are old fashioned technology things!

[/quote]

we still have my records from when I was a kid! Our kids were listening to them last night!

Up hill, both ways, in 10 feet of snow…:smiley:

[quote="trinichiqn, post:5, topic:245192"]
I have used a phone with the rotary dial, a friend of mine had one at her home when I was in school, I had to hang up multiple times and try again until I got it right.

I have used a television with the turn knob, that belonged to my grandmother. She also had one of those old radio that used records (the big and the little ones), I also used that.

[/quote]

Ha! I grew up on that stuff!

Hmm, I've made jelly. Once with salt. Well, it looked like sugar! Results: not pretty.

I've made soap. Be afraid. Vewy afraid.

I've made reed pens. Much better results than lye soap and salt jelly.

[quote="Sailor_Kenshin, post:14, topic:245192"]
Ha! I grew up on that stuff!

[/quote]

yeah, me too. and you had to dial "0" for the operator if you need a number or help!

your jelly, sounds, um....never mind!

[quote="happymommy, post:13, topic:245192"]
Up hill, both ways, in 10 feet of snow....:D

[/quote]

I almost added that. :D But it was just short of 2 miles each way. I don't know anyone who lets their kids walk that far these days to school.

Ah yes. I remember typing my senior project on a typewriter that was old by typewriter standards. The typebars wouldn’t strike with equal pressure so some letters were much darker than others.

:smiley:

Waited for the milk man to deliver the milk bottles.

Waited for the fruits & veggie man to come by 3 times a week with his horse drawn carriage.

Walked 4 miles to school, each way - rain - sleet - snow & hot sun...

Built my own bike and that had to include a "banana" seat..

Made our own home made bread by hand 3 times a week and I still do that now.

Lots & lots of canning of foods to hold us during winter months.

Worked on family farms - cleaning out chicken coups, horse poopies... etc..

Grew our own fruits & veggies

Made home made doughnuts during winter months.

Listen to old 78's & LP;s & yes... the 45's

Didn't have our first TV until I was 12 - & yes... you had to switch the chanels by hand and there were only about 7 of them.

Used a rotary phone as well as the old fashioned ones which were crank

Walked 5 miles each way to use the Library....

Walked same distance to the denstist

Walked 2 miles each way with the old fashioned shoping cart to go to the market for groceries. Did the same for the laudry mat. Did the same for the butcher.. Did the same for the fish store..

Washed clothes in a small river and yes... you had to wash them against the rocks...

Going out for a "slice" of pizza was a treat and that only happened about once a year because we made pizza at home

Made pasta by hand.

Made our own home made yogurt

Oh Dear God...

So much more...!!!!

and every typewriter had at least one key that would strike a little lower than the others and it made your words look wavy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.