Old Irish Custom - Keeping A Red Candle Burning Near The Image of the Sacred Heart At Home?

I’ve read or heard somewhere that Irish people traditionally had an image of the Sacred Heart enthroned in their homes, and that they kept a red votive or vigil candle constantly burning near it. Does anyone have any information about this? Why did they do this?

My family has always done this going back as far as I can remember with my Great Grandmother. It is done to honor the Sacred Heart of Jesus as part of the Enthronment of the household. In doing the Enthronment the household is dedicated & consecrated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

My family has always done this going back as far as I can remember with my Great Grandmother. It is done to honor the Sacred Heart of Jesus as part of the Enthronment of the household. In doing the Enthronment the household is dedicated & consecrated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Thanks for sharing. I have just ordered a large painting of the Sacred Heart. I’d love to have my it enthroned but as a single man who lives along I wouldn’t want to bother the priest. I may get a red candle to go with my painting because it seems to be the traditional thing to do. I’d love to know more about it though.

In my Hispanic upbringing, it was traditional also, to have the Sacred Heart above the front door on the inside.
My mother said it kept evil from entering into the house.
I have the Sacred Hearts of Jesus & Mary above mine today.
Peace.

Pax Christi!

Blessed candles are best. Any priest or deacon can bless candles, and you can have a bunch blessed at a time.

God bless.

In my Hispanic upbringing, it was traditional also, to have the Sacred Heart above the front door on the inside.
My mother said it kept evil from entering into the house.
I have the Sacred Hearts of Jesus & Mary above mine today.

That’s a nice tradition. I have seen a lot of people place Sacred Heart images in the passage way next to the front door but I never questioned why. I like the explanation that it symbolically prevents evil from entering.

Blessed candles are best. Any priest or deacon can bless candles, and you can have a bunch blessed at a time.

Why do we use blessed candles? What do they symbolise?

We have one in our living room. My mother’s mother and father always had one, and my mum continued even when she moved from Ireland. The red bulb is always plugged in and burns until a new is needed!

[quote=simpleas]We have one in our living room. My mother’s mother and father always had one, and my mum continued even when she moved from Ireland. The red bulb is always plugged in and burns until a new is needed!
[/quote]

Did your mother tell you what the red light means? I think I first heard it mentioned in the Pioneer magazine that’s published by the Irish Pioneer Total Abstinence Association of the Sacred Heart. It stated that the image was often kept in the kitchen with a red light.

I forgot to add that when my Irish husband was young, his parents built a new house…and moved out from their original thatched cottage. Joe, being around 17, mentioned to his mom that they shouldn’t have the Sacred Heart in the new sitting room…that it looked “old fashioned” to which his mother replied
“Well then, you’ll be mighty uncomfortable sleeping in the hay shed with the calves!”

He changed his tune real quick, LOL

:irish3::shamrock2::shamrock:

Oh yeah. My father in law was a 75 yr member of the Pioneers.
We have his beautiful calligraphy certificate.
HE asked to be buried with his Pioneer pin on his lapel. He was VERY proud of it. He made sure to remind the priest about it as well.
:shamrock2: He was such a lovely man.
Rest in peace papa!

[quote=pianistclare]Oh yeah. My father in law was a 75 yr member of the Pioneers.
We have his beautiful calligraphy certificate.
HE asked to be buried with his Pioneer pin on his lapel. He was VERY proud of it. He made sure to remind the priest about it as well.
He was such a lovely man.
[/quote]

That’s a lovely story. I joined the Pioneers on the 3rd of March. I am a Temporary Member and will become a full member after one year of Total Abstinence. I wear my pioneer pin every day and plan on doing it for the rest of my life. The PTAA is the reason I’m getting the Sacred Heart image.

Not to derail the thread, but here is a link to the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association of the Sacred Heart in case anyone is interested:
pioneerassociation.ie

The Pioneers are an Irish group but anyone can join. I’m an Englishman. Apparently there are many Pioneers in Africa and in the USA. It’s a great way to make penance a part of your life. It has greatly enriched my spiritual life.

We too had one in our living room, when I was growing up. I have been searching for one with the bulb in for years. Still searching.

:clapping::shamrock:
Congratulations! Sean would be proud of you! He lived to be 93~
Once, in his early 20’s, Sean had to take a cough mixture prescribed by the Doctor that had a bit of alcohol in it. Sean asked the priest if that broke his pledge, and the priest said yeah…start over. The poor priest died of alcoholism years later. Sean said he always wished he had not had to start over. He held somewhat of a “record” in County Mayo, LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

God Bless you!

This is one that you install under the framed picture:

ebay.com/itm/Sacred-Heart-Bulb-for-Sacred-Heart-Wall-Light-Bulb-Only-/140897102933

:shamrock:

Thank you. I will have to get one of these. But will still keep an eye out for the round picture one that were popular in the 70’s. You never know:thumbsup:

Congratulations! Sean would be proud of you! He lived to be 93~
Once, in his early 20’s, Sean had to take a cough mixture prescribed by the Doctor that had a bit of alcohol in it. Sean asked the priest if that broke his pledge, and the priest said yeah…start over. The poor priest died of alcoholism years later. Sean said he always wished he had not had to start over. He held somewhat of a “record” in County Mayo, LOL

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

It’s amazing that he kept the “Heroic Offering” for all those years. I’m not sure if the rules have changed over the years, but my certificate states that members can take alcoholic drinks if they have been prescribed by a doctor in serious illness, so it appears that he kept the “pledge” for a very long time!

I’ll ask my friends in Ireland if there is a place that one could order from over there…???
I’m curious now…
:wink:

I also have a picture of the Sacred Heart with a red light( but inside the bulb there is also a red Cross) it means your dedicating your house and household under the protection of the Sacred Heart.

Could someone please give me a brief definition of “Enthronment?” Coming from a Protestant background, it’s unfamiliar to me. Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.