Old Mass Readings

Does anyone know how I can determine what readings were used at Mass on a particular date? USCCB only dates back as far as April 2013, and the date I am looking for is much older. Specifically, I'd like to find out what readings were used on November 16, 1937.

Well, there was a completely different Missal in use at that time. You'd have to get your hands on a 1920 Roman Missal, which is not longer in print, since the 1962 Missal is now in use for the EF. Good luck on the journey that lays far ahead of you. :thumbsup:

However, I don't know if the readings changed with each missal, so the readings in the 1920 edition could be the same as in the 1962 edition. You'd have to ask someone else who knows more about the EF.

May I ask why you want the readings from so long ago?

[quote="bben15, post:2, topic:347066"]
Well, there was a completely different Missal in use at that time. You'd have to get your hands on a 1920 Roman Missal, which is not longer in print, since the 1962 Missal is now in use for the EF. Good luck on the journey that lays far ahead of you. :thumbsup:

However, I don't know if the readings changed with each missal, so the readings in the 1920 edition could be the same as in the 1962 edition. You'd have to ask someone else who knows more about the EF.

[/quote]

The 1962 Missal might have had some added saints but the Latin readings should be the same AFAIK for most Sundays. Holy Week changed in 1955.

[quote="MEastman, post:1, topic:347066"]
Specifically, I'd like to find out what readings were used on November 16, 1937.

[/quote]

That was a Tuesday in Pentecost season. Nov. 16th is the feast of St. Gertrude; readings were of a Virgin Not a Martyr (Mass: Dilexisti)

Not certain but an educated guess. :)

As far back as I can tell (1884 Missal which is the editio typica of 1916 I think, Wikipedia, etc.) the feast was that of St. Gertrude, and still is in the EF.

The readings are, for the Epistle:

II Cor. 10:17-18; 11:1-2
Fratres: Qui gloriatur, in Domino glorietur. Non enim qui seipsum commendat, ille probatus est; sed quem Deus commendat. Utinam sustine retis modicum quid insipientiae meae, sed et supportate me: aemulor enim vos Dei aemulatione. Despondi enim vos uni viro virginem castam exhibere Christo.

Brethren, he that glorieth let him glory in the Lord. For not he who commedeth himself is approved but he whom God commendeth. Would to God you could bear with some little of my folly, but do bear with me: for I am jealous of you with the jealousy of God. For I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

(Gradual:
Ps. 44:5,15,16
Specie tua, et pulchritudine tua intende, prospere procede, et regna. Propter veritatem, et mansuetudinem, et justitiam: et deducet te mirabiliter dextera tua. With thy comeliness and thy beauty set out, proceed prosperously, and reighn. Because of truth, and meekness, and justice: and thy right hadn shall conduct thee wonderfully.

Alleluia:
Alleluia, alleluia. Adducentur regi virgines post eam: proximae ejus afferentur tibi in laetitia. Alleluia. Alleluia, alleluia. After her shall virgins be brought to the King: he companions shall be brought to thee with gladness. Alleluia.)

Gospel:

Mt. 25:1-13
In illo tempore: Dixit Jesus discipulis suis parabolam hanc: Simile erit regnum coerum decem virginibus: quae accipientes lampades sua, exiertunt obviam sponso et sponsae. Quinque autem ex eis ereant fatuea, et quinque prudentes: sed quinque autem ex eis erant fatuae, et quinque prudentes: sed quinqu fatuae, acceptis lampadibus, no sumpserunt oleum secum prudentes ver acceperunt oleum in vasis suis cum lampadibus. Moram autem faciente sponso, dormitaverunt omnes, et dormierunt Media autem nocte clamore factus estL: Ecce sponsus venit exite obviam ei. Tunc surrenxerunt omnes virgines illae, et ornaverunt lapades suas. Fatuae autem sapientibus dixerunt: Date nobis de oleo vestro:quia lampades nostrae exinguuntur. Responderunt prudentes, dicentes: Ne forte non sufficiat nobis, et vobis, ite potius ad vendentes, emite vobis. Dum autem irent emere, venit sponsus: et qua paratae erant, intraverunt cum eo ad nuptias, et clausa est janua. Novissime vero veniunt et reliquae virgines, dicentes: Domine, Domine, aperi nobis. At ille respondens, ait: Amen dico vobis, nescio vos. Vigilate itaque, quia nescitis diem neque horam.
At that time, Jesus spoke to His disciples this parable: The kingdom of heaven be like to ten virgins, who taking their lamps went out to meet the bridegroom and the bride. And five of them were foolish, and five wise. But the five foolish, having taken their lamps, did not take oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with the lamps. And the bridegroom tarrying, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made: Behold the bridegroom cometh, go ye forth to meet him. Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise: Give us of your oil, for our lamps are gone out. The wise answered, saying: Lest perhaps there be not enough for us and for you, go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. Now whilst they went to buy, the bridegroom came: and they that were ready, went in with him to the marriage, and the door was shut. But at last come also the other virgins, saying: Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answering said: Amen I say to you, I know you not. Watch ye therefore, because you know not the day nor the hour.

I quote from virgomaterdie.com/1962_propers/2013/nov/nov16.html and cross-reference with divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/missa/missa.pl (you must navigate to November 16 on this website yourself).

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:5, topic:347066"]
As far back as I can tell (1884 Missal which is the editio typica of 1916 I think, Wikipedia, etc.) the feast was that of St. Gertrude, and still is in the EF.

The readings are, for the Epistle:

II Cor. 10:17-18; 11:1-2
Fratres: Qui gloriatur, in Domino glorietur. Non enim qui seipsum commendat, ille probatus est; sed quem Deus commendat. Utinam sustine retis modicum quid insipientiae meae, sed et supportate me: aemulor enim vos Dei aemulatione. Despondi enim vos uni viro virginem castam exhibere Christo.

Brethren, he that glorieth let him glory in the Lord. For not he who commedeth himself is approved but he whom God commendeth. Would to God you could bear with some little of my folly, but do bear with me: for I am jealous of you with the jealousy of God. For I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

(Gradual:
Ps. 44:5,15,16
Specie tua, et pulchritudine tua intende, prospere procede, et regna. Propter veritatem, et mansuetudinem, et justitiam: et deducet te mirabiliter dextera tua. With thy comeliness and thy beauty set out, proceed prosperously, and reighn. Because of truth, and meekness, and justice: and thy right hadn shall conduct thee wonderfully.

Alleluia:
Alleluia, alleluia. Adducentur regi virgines post eam: proximae ejus afferentur tibi in laetitia. Alleluia. Alleluia, alleluia. After her shall virgins be brought to the King: he companions shall be brought to thee with gladness. Alleluia.)

Gospel:

Mt. 25:1-13
In illo tempore: Dixit Jesus discipulis suis parabolam hanc: Simile erit regnum coerum decem virginibus: quae accipientes lampades sua, exiertunt obviam sponso et sponsae. Quinque autem ex eis ereant fatuea, et quinque prudentes: sed quinque autem ex eis erant fatuae, et quinque prudentes: sed quinqu fatuae, acceptis lampadibus, no sumpserunt oleum secum prudentes ver acceperunt oleum in vasis suis cum lampadibus. Moram autem faciente sponso, dormitaverunt omnes, et dormierunt Media autem nocte clamore factus estL: Ecce sponsus venit exite obviam ei. Tunc surrenxerunt omnes virgines illae, et ornaverunt lapades suas. Fatuae autem sapientibus dixerunt: Date nobis de oleo vestro:quia lampades nostrae exinguuntur. Responderunt prudentes, dicentes: Ne forte non sufficiat nobis, et vobis, ite potius ad vendentes, emite vobis. Dum autem irent emere, venit sponsus: et qua paratae erant, intraverunt cum eo ad nuptias, et clausa est janua. Novissime vero veniunt et reliquae virgines, dicentes: Domine, Domine, aperi nobis. At ille respondens, ait: Amen dico vobis, nescio vos. Vigilate itaque, quia nescitis diem neque horam.
At that time, Jesus spoke to His disciples this parable: The kingdom of heaven be like to ten virgins, who taking their lamps went out to meet the bridegroom and the bride. And five of them were foolish, and five wise. But the five foolish, having taken their lamps, did not take oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with the lamps. And the bridegroom tarrying, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made: Behold the bridegroom cometh, go ye forth to meet him. Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise: Give us of your oil, for our lamps are gone out. The wise answered, saying: Lest perhaps there be not enough for us and for you, go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. Now whilst they went to buy, the bridegroom came: and they that were ready, went in with him to the marriage, and the door was shut. But at last come also the other virgins, saying: Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answering said: Amen I say to you, I know you not. Watch ye therefore, because you know not the day nor the hour.

I quote from virgomaterdie.com/1962_propers/2013/nov/nov16.html and cross-reference with divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/missa/missa.pl (you must navigate to November 16 on this website yourself).

[/quote]

It's good we have YoungTadCath on this forum. :thumbsup:

Yes, as has been stated, the feast was of St. Gertrude the Great, and the readings from that Mass. They, of course, were read in Latin. Since that was a Tuesday, most Masses were Low Masses, making it unlikely that the readings would have been repeated in the vernacular.

Thank you all for your help; your answers were exactly what I needed!

BBen15, to answer your question, my grandmother passed away recently, and I was just curious about the readings that were read on the day she was born.

[quote="MEastman, post:8, topic:347066"]
Thank you all for your help; your answers were exactly what I needed!

BBen15, to answer your question, my grandmother passed away recently, and I was just curious about the readings that were read on the day she was born.

[/quote]

That is sad. :( I will say a prayer for your grandmother's soul. :signofcross:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.