Old Roman Chant

I wanted a thread to discuss all ancient non-Gregorian chant schools of the Latin Church. Also, their potential use in current Masses.

The only Ancient Non-Gregorian Chant that serves the best of my recollection is Ambrosian Chant. cantoambrosiano.it/English/Default_HTML_English.htm

Here is some chants from the Holy See: vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/sacmus/documents/rc_ic_sacmus_home_en.htm

There is also Mozarabic chant, and doubtless there were various Gallican chants.

I once had a very interesting tape of Romano-Greek chants from the period there were Greek and Syrian popes. They were sung with isons–sometimes in Greek, sometimes in Latin, sometimes a mixture, and sounded indistinguisable from modern Byzantine and neo-Byzantine chant.

My personal favorite is 12th century Templar chant with its eastern influence.
youtube.com/watch?v=pEXNKDVs8Sw

Is there a title/translation to the Templar chant?

Crucem sanctam subiit,
qui infernum confregit,
accinctus est potentia,
surrexit die tertia. Alleluia.
Lapidem quem reprobaverunt aedeficantes factus est caput anguli, alleluia"
+
“HE bore the Holy Cross,
who broke the power of hell;
He was girded with power,
He rose again the third day. Alleluia
The stone that the architects rejected became the cornerstone, alleluja”

There is an early music ensemble in the UK called The Clerks (www.theclerks.co.uk) who are currently performing a series called “Quddeson” which intersperses early Renneisance polyphony with Syriac Christian chant. It’s quite an eclectic mix, but it acyually works.

More details here: theclerks.co.uk/programmes_Qudduson.html

There are plenty of groups and CD’s available that perform the old chants – Old Roman, Beneventan, Gallican, etc.

But, what about the use of them in a Mass of today?

I use the chant tones for the Communion Psalms from the US Byzantine Catholic Church in praying Morning and Evening Prayer. I once wrote a setting of the Responsorial Psalm using one of the tone modes as my basis. It worked quite well and is published on the Chabanel Site.

I think the main question would be do the TEXTS of these chants correspond to the present received and authorized Latin liturgical text of the Typical editions of the Missale and Lectionarium?

Of course, if there were texts that did NOT so correspond, but were otherwise appropriate, I suppose they could be sung for Offertory or Communion hymns–or more properly, during Communion.

For the most part, the texts are the same – Old Roman Chant being a direct ancestor of and co-existing for a period with Gregorian Chant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.